Plugs - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Plugs

My question is about the right rear plug. What a freaking nightmare...I was very slow when trying to sit and rethread the new plug. I couldn't really get it started with a hose attached to the top of the plug but after dropping it down in there a few times I got it started with the deep socket attached to the plug. I spent a good 1/2 hr. turning it from slightly different angles thinking it should thread loosely for most of the way in but after a few threads there was resistance. I finally committed and wrenched the socket until it stopped then gave it another quarter turn. I did not torque it. It started and is running smooth. Would I know if it wasn't seated properly and I cross threaded it? If it wasn't seated properly would there be evidence of this in the way it ran? Paranoid!

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 02:31 PM

There is really no way to know if you cross threaded it even slightly. Usually the plug will spin in until it touches the sealing ring but can have a slight resistance too.
You are probably ok. Did you use any anti sieze on the threads?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I did not.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 03:05 PM
KCW

Garage
Ive had new plugs that went in snug on cars before, to where I could not screw it in with the extension on the socket, I had to put the wrench on it.

I know what you mean, its a sick feeling. As long as it went in with pretty much the same slight torque all the way, like two fingers on the ratchet wrench you are ok. If it was cross threaded I think it would get harder and harder to screw in as it went.

If you did cross thread it, its not the end of the world, you can put a helicoil in if you need to. When you take it out next time check the threads on the plug for stripped out aluminum.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm getting a new front tire next week. I'll have them take a look. If the plug is not all the way in I assume it would run rough. Thanks for the reply.
KCW and KCW like this.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 03:37 PM

We are talking steel base of a plug going into aluminum so it is possible you had resistance because there could have been a little crud in the threads when you removed the old one. I once crossthreaded a plug so bad on a dirt bike when I was a kid, it blew the plug out after i started it! Like kcw said, we all been there.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 06:43 PM

Garage
Hope all turns out OK for you. From past experience I will not put a new plug into anything without antiseize. I stipped a plug hole in a very expensive set heads once in a race motor. That was a very bad day.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 06:46 PM
KCW

Garage
I wonder if you can get a nut that is the same size as the threads on a spark plug? Then if the plug does not seem to want to screw in right, you could take it out and screw the nut on the spark plug to chase the threads and clean them up. I think the threads are 14mm x 1.25mm.

It has never occurred to me to check the threads on a spark plug before installing it. I guess they could get buggered up a bit if the spark plug was mishandled or dropped somewhere.

Last edited by KCW; 04-29-2018 at 07:03 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 07:12 PM
KCW

Garage
one other thing that can happen, if your engine is running rich and there is a lot of carbon on the plugs,

as you take them out the carbon will deform the threads in the aluminum head. When you put the new clean plugs in they will need to push the threads back into shape a bit. So if your plugs were fouled you can expect the new ones will go in a little tight.
lesblank and lesblank like this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
Hope all turns out OK for you. From past experience I will not put a new plug into anything without antiseize. I stipped a plug hole in a very expensive set heads once in a race motor. That was a very bad day.
Agreed. I almost broke off the threads in the park plug hole on a dodge truck once because the previous owner did not use any antisieze and the plug was rusted in the head. A tube of antisieze will last almost a lifetime!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
I wonder if you can get a nut that is the same size as the threads on a spark plug? Then if the plug does not seem to want to screw in right, you could take it out and screw the nut on the spark plug to chase the threads and clean them up. I think the threads are 14mm x 1.25mm.

It has never occurred to me to check the threads on a spark plug before installing it. I guess they could get buggered up a bit if the spark plug was mishandled or dropped somewhere.
Yep I have seen threads dinged up from the factory and possible it happened to him making it seem he was crossthreading it.
I worked for a company where we used to make hydraulic fittings and one of the workers was just tossing them in the box. Our quality department had to reject about 5000 fittings because all the threads and sealing surfaces were all banged up. We would sample batches using go and no-go gauges.
lesblank and lesblank like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode