Oil Fill Level | Raider - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 9Likes
  • 1 Post By Diogenes415
  • 2 Post By baron58
  • 3 Post By Highwayman
  • 1 Post By Highwayman
  • 2 Post By NordicMan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Oil Fill Level | Raider

I checked the oil level on my Raider. It was halfway between the top and bottom fill level. I assumed it should be more near the top so I added a few ounces and is now a couple hash marks below top mark on dipstick. Now I'm reading about over filling. What is the dead center proper oil level? Thanks.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 04:23 PM

IMO just as long as you keep it between the top and lower lines you're good to go... I wouldn't overthink it too much... works on my machine (that's a nerdy quip for Elk).
Elk likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I do tend to over think things. Lettin it go.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 09:04 AM

Garage
Doesn't the Raider have a dry oil sump like the Road Stars because checking oil and such is different from conventional oil sumps.

The conventional oil sumps that we see in most cars and many motorcycles and vehicles is called a wet sump. This means there is a oil collection pan at the bottom of the engine where all the oil drains to and that is where the oil pump is located.

Dry sump systems do not have an oil collection pan, they have an oil tank is located somewhere else near the engine. Oil pumps pump oil from the tank to the engine and additional oil pumps pump the oil back to the tank. These pumps are known as scavenging pumps. This means that when the oil is cold, the oil level will be low due to oil in the oil tank leaking into the engine. This is the opposite of what we see in a wet sump. In a wet sump we see the oil level higher when cold due to that is where all the oil drains to. In a dry sump system when cold, the oil drains out of the oil tank.

In most dry sump systems the oil level is checked when the engine is warm so that the oil tank has been re-filled by the scavenging pumps. That is why many of these oil systems tend to be overfilled because they are checked cold and will always read low.
KCW and YamahaParExcellence like this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll have to check the manual on that but I checked the oil after putting a few miles on then waited a bit for it to settle before checking oil level. It was at halfway point on dip stick. I added a couple of ounces and the level is now a couple of notches below top. I called my shop and the mechanic said anywhere between half and full is good. I've put more miles in with no issues. (Aside from getting caught in a blinding rainstorm at midnight)
Elk, KCW and YamahaParExcellence like this.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 12:57 PM
KCW

Garage
is your avatar Professor Elvin from Impossible Mission?

I spent way too many hours finishing that game on a Commodore 64, back in 1988...

Last edited by KCW; 05-19-2018 at 02:06 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm a mad scientist.
KCW likes this.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 09:10 AM

You HAVE to be a mad scientist to live with the hassle of checking Raider oil level! According to my understanding you have to:
  • Go for a ride at least 15 minutes to warm up the oil
  • Stop on a level surface and just IDLE for about a minute, keep the bike upright (remain seated on it)
  • Turn off engine, place bike on sidestand, and remove the seat, and take out the dipstick
  • Now hold the bike LEVEL, stick the cleaned dipstick back in the hole take it out & check the level

Whew!

After doing that a couple of times I now just pop off the dipstick & LOOK into the hole. If the oil level appears "about right" I'm happy
Elk and Highwayman like this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
I checked the oil level on my Raider. It was halfway between the top and bottom fill level. I assumed it should be more near the top so I added a few ounces and is now a couple hash marks below top mark on dipstick. Now I'm reading about over filling. What is the dead center proper oil level? Thanks.
On my Star Venture T.C., at my 600 mile service, my dealer said that they only put in enough oil, to sit halfway up from the lower hash mark. They said that anything higher, and you can have oil leaks, and blow back. So...I guess you are good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode