Need advice!... - Page 2 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
just the stuff I mentioned previously: the #1 problem with a bike that has sat for a long time is rust in the gas tank, or fuel that has partly turned into jello, then got sucked into the filter, fuel pump, carbs or injectors...

Its a bigger problem with carbs, but can also clog injectors. Take a flash light with you, look inside the gas tank: it should be shiny clean steel and clear gas.

ask the owner how he prepped the bike before he stored it. Sometimes people dont know today will be the last day they will ride the bike for the next 2 years, they pull it in the garage with half a tank of gas.. and thats the way it is two years later when they decide to sell it.

There are some known issues with the 1600/1700 engines. I think the only one that was not fully resolved by 2010 is the way the drive pulley is attached to the engine. They improved it over the years, but its still a single nut on the shaft with a washer that sorta locks in place. If that comes loose (usually from hard compression braking) the output pulley will wobble on its splines, and bugger up the output shaft. Unless you grab the pulley and it wobbles in your hands I think all you can do is ask if he ever had to torque it back down?

On the tires: look at the date code on the sidewalls. Its the only thing that is molded recessed into the rubber. It will say DOT something something then WkYr Wk = week of production from 1 to 52, and Yr = last two digits of the year 20XX. They are most likely the original tires, but maybe the rear was replaced.

BTW, I have a question for you. Since you owned a Venture, I just got a used 2000 royal star. The bike had old fuel in it, I have been running seafoam and it seems to be running solid on all four cylinders, but I have noticed: when Im cruising along just barely cracking the throttle open, the engine is very smooth, no vibration at all. But in 4th or 5th gear, if I really get on it, if I crank the throttle wide open, I can feel the engine pulsing and the bike vibrating as it accelerates. Once the engine is up to higher speeds (like 60 in 4th gear) its not so noticeable.

I know there are no counter balancers in this V4 engine - is that pulsing and vibration under full throttle normal? Im worried that maybe one cylinder is dropping out when Im hitting the main jets hard. Maybe Im expecting the bike to be more balanced (like a gold wing) than it really is? I still have to replace the plugs and air filter, so Im not finished with the full tune up yet.

On my last tank of gas Im getting 51mpg riding on secondary roads, so the engine is running well in general. If anything it might be a bit lean. After I accelerate hard up to any speed, and back off the throttle, its completely smooth again - even at 80mph in 5th gear.
Thank you for all your suggestions and input. Really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I won't be much of a help when it comes to Venture for two reasons - one: mine never gave me any trouble at all and was running like a champ for all 7 years. Two - I'm quite mechanically challenged.... sorry about that.

Again, thanks a lot for all your input.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

this site has some helpful tips on buying a used bike:

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...ke-buying-tips

looks like the '08 and '09 raiders had a recall for the lifters, not sure. but here's how you can find out if there have been any and if it has been done for this bike:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielikeslyrics View Post

Have the VIN Number handy and call your favorite dealer. They can tell you if the warranty work is outstanding or done. When you call to ask you might politely say "Can you tell me if their is outstanding warranty work on this VIN and if your shop can do it if it hasn't been done". The local shop very nicely looked up my roadstar for the tranny recall and then told me there was no other outstanding warranty work but they would be happy to have my business if I needed work.
lesblank likes this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Last edited by bevo1981; 09-21-2018 at 03:11 PM.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 07:45 PM

Garage
Bought my 10 Raider S last May with 4K miles. With low mileage your basically getting a new bike. First thing I did was new tires, plugs, filter and engine and gear case oil change. That's a good price. Be careful on the rear right plug. You should know by riding it if something isn't right.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

And it's here - 2010 Raider S with 6400 miles, bone stock (with passenger backrest). Looks new!...

Registered yesterday, taking it to work today, first short ride. Can't wait...

One quick question - how you remove the sissy bar (passenger backrest)? There's a key and I can unlock it.....and then what? I tried to just lift it but it didn't go easy off so I didn't want to push it too hard. Any explanation and maybe a photo would help a lot.

Also, looking for a good place(s), website(s) for a Raider accessories. Suggestions?...

Thanks.

KCW likes this.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 06:36 AM
KCW

Garage
The two websites I use the most are BikeBandit and Revzilla.

One thing to check as soon as you get a chance is the preload settings on your suspension. I got my Royal Star two weeks ago, and it seemed kinda soft turning corners. The front and rear preloads were both set to the minimum. I set them to the defaults (factory) settings and the bike is much firmer and precise now. It will change the way the bike handles, so check them (not sure if your front has air shocks like the Royal Star) before you get use to riding the bike the way it is.

Congrats on your new ride.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
The two websites I use the most are BikeBandit and Revzilla.

One thing to check as soon as you get a chance is the preload settings on your suspension. I got my Royal Star two weeks ago, and it seemed kinda soft turning corners. The front and rear preloads were both set to the minimum. I set them to the defaults (factory) settings and the bike is much firmer and precise now. It will change the way the bike handles, so check them (not sure if your front has air shocks like the Royal Star) before you get use to riding the bike the way it is.

Congrats on your new ride.
Thank you. I'll check the manual to see where and how can I check the preload settings.

Do you know how to remove the sissy bar by any chance?...

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 06:50 AM
KCW

Garage
no. The saddle bags that came on my bike have a pin you pull out to release them. I dont think they have been off the bike in the last 18 years - I had to yank on them pretty good for them to let go. After that they go on and off easy.

If you think you have all the releases figured take a block of wood or a plastic mallet and just tap it up and see if it pops loose.

That is true for anything, for example if your oil drain plug seems tight, or your spark plugs are really in there, its better to tap the wrench with a hammer and send an impact/shock thru the metal to pop it loose, than it is to brut force torque or yank on it.

If the back rest doesnt move when you tap on it, then something else is holding it.

BTW, to set the preload on most Vstar bikes there is a spanner wrench in the tool set that you must have to change the setting. I dont know where the factory tool kit is on your bike. On some bikes its really hidden.

Last edited by KCW; 09-29-2018 at 07:08 AM.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
no. The saddle bags that came on my bike have a pin you pull out to release them. I dont think they have been off the bike in the last 18 years - I had to yank on them pretty good for them to let go. After that they go on and off easy.

If you think you have all the releases figured take a block of wood or a plastic mallet and just tap it up and see if it pops loose.

That is true for anything, for example if your oil drain plug seems tight, or your spark plugs are really in there, its better to tap the wrench with a hammer and send an impact/shock thru the metal to pop it loose, than it is to brut force torque or yank on it.

If the back rest doesnt move when you tap on it, then something else is holding it.

BTW, to set the preload on most Vstar bikes there is a spanner wrench in the tool set that you must have to change the setting. I dont know where the factory tool kit is on your bike. One some bikes its really hidden.
Thank you for all the info. If you have any more suggestions I'm eager to hear. I'm new to Raider, been riding a 2013 Goldwing for a couple of years now (still have it), prior to that had Yamaha Venture for 7 years.....and a Vstrom 650 in the meantime.

So, any info about a Raider is welcomed!... Thanks for your time.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 10:05 AM

Garage
Because of the fork rake, in the beginning you feel that gap when turning. For a couple of days my natural inclination was to turn the bars. Of course if you are at low speed in a tight turn you will move the bars. Otherwise just lean as on any bike. Trust that leaning will get you around that corner.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Figured out how to take off the passenger backrest. It just needed a little push, looks like it was never taken off. It's easy now...

Bike runs really well, took me a bit of a "learning curve" to take it through the curve (raked bike) but it actually handles better than I thought it would. I'll check the preload to see how it's adjusted, feels pretty stiff. Not bad, just want to see options to see what I like and prefer.

Need a windshield. Badly. Over 60mph it really hitting right into chest. Any suggestion welcome (windshield size, manufacturer, maybe fairing?...).

Overall, really like the bike. It's a keeper.

KCW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode