4Likes
  • 1 Post By Scrumdown
  • 1 Post By CanadianMohawk
  • 1 Post By bevo1981
  • 1 Post By Highwayman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Hot leg!

So the Raider is my first cruiser and air cooled bike. Love everything about the bike but I'm catching a lot of heat on my leg from the rear cylinder exhaust while waiting at stop lights. Is this normal? Bike is still stock and I've read the ECU flash will lower operating temp. Any other solutions out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 07:23 AM
KCW

Garage
When I stop my VS650 on 90F days, I can feel the heat coming up off the engine. Not sure if I sensed it was more off the exhaust or not.

If the bike is stock now and running a bit lean, I know the combustion chamber temps will be higher. Not sure what happens if you make it richer than it needs to be. That will make the combustion chamber burn cooler, but the unburned fuel in the exhaust could make the pipes hotter.

Have to ask the obvious question: are you wearing shorts while riding? I always have jeans on, and even when its hot out I dont find the heat is really a problem.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 07:51 AM

Garage
I know for me being short in the leg department I do get the same heat. When I stand with both legs down I can feel the extra heat. I have even burned holes in raingear. My fix is I usually keep right foot on board, works good. I've tried the exhaust wrap, helped but I didn't like the look. My stock pipes did stick out more than my cobra exhaust. It's something I just got used to. Yes, KCW, I always wear long pants. 😀

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and now that you mention it I have seen a few riders at stoplights with their right foot on the peg/footboard. Yes I always wear long pants when I ride.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 12:37 PM

Garage
I am thinking of getting archery arm guard & wear around my right calf to lessen the loss of pants. Already lost one pair of rain pants.
lesblank likes this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 01:14 PM

Garage
A cruiser with undertail exhaust might be cool. Anything to lessen the chance of getting burnt. Do these exist?

That's actually one of my biggest dislikes about going from an R6 to a Vstar 1100. Those pipes are damn dangerous! I never burnt myself once in 13 years of riding sport bikes. I burnt myself twice in the first 2 days of owning the vstar.

Yes, In shorts on a hot day at the lights, there is a tremendous about of heat coming from the right side. I also put my foot up on the pegs when I feel it and quickly decided riding in shorts (which i never did on the sportbikes) still was a dumb idea. LOL....
lesblank likes this.

Current Bike:
2008 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

Previous Bikes:
2005 Yamaha YZF-R6T
1990 Kawasaki EX-500
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 03:51 PM

Garage
From a course with the State Police, the reason to have the foot on the right peg/floorboard is to have your foot on the brake, so that your right is freed up to roll the throttle in case you need to make an emergency maneuver.

Seat height and leg length may also play in to that, that its easier to lean to one side than tip toe for an extended light cycle.

As for the exhaust on the Raider, with the stock exhaust and all the heat shields on it, with a pair of jeans on during summer heat stopped and waiting on a long light or a toll bridge, I really don't feel there is an uncomfortable amount of heat coming off the pipes or engine. Granted aftermarket exhaust and personal comfort levels can all make the ride different for everyone.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

get your exhaust coated in black ceramic. i can grab my tailpipe after a long ride and not burn myself. cost me $200 back in '10 and worth every penny. cheaper alternative is to wrap it in thermal tape/exhaust wrap. they come in different colors.

lesblank likes this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Last edited by bevo1981; 09-21-2018 at 05:49 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 07:25 PM

Garage
I almost bought this several years ago, couldn't justify price, started keeping right foot on board.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 07:27 PM

Garage
That was a concern for me when I first got my Raider. It's normal. I believe I read the oil pump or something is right there. I like to keep my left foot up at lights for the gear lever so I keep my right leg out as far as I can. I did wear shorts once. That didn't turn out well.
Scrumdown likes this.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode