Sad/Happy Day in the NGM House - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Sad/Happy Day in the NGM House

After months of fighting with a stupid check engine light on the Raider I am over it. It comes on randomly. NEVER comes on for the dealer. They had the bike for over a month and the effing light never came on. I picked the bike up and the damn thing came on when I was less than 3 miles from the shop. I am DONE. I am trading her in for a *GASP* Street Glide. I have been fighting this decision. I was made a deal on a new SG that I cannot pass up. They are giving me top dollar for the Raider and knocking a crap ton off of the SG. The SG will come with a lifetime powertrain warranty. That sealed the deal for me. I do not have to worry about the most expensive part of the bike. :-) I still have my Venture and love her. I will have a few parts for sale in the for sale section.
lesblank and nurtaeff like this.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 05:50 PM

Garage
SG is a cool looking bike. What color you getting?

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
SG is a cool looking bike. What color you getting?
The Flat white. Its called Bonneville Salt Denim. I have not seen a lot in that color. I did not want mine too color. You know.. "What color is your bike?" ...."Black".. "Really? Mine too."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 06:27 PM

Garage
That's an interesting color. Guess I'm lazy, white shows too much dirt. Looks great when it's clean. I understand the black bike comment. Mine is a dark gray, but they call Black Ivory. We need to see pictures or it never happened. 😀

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 06:53 PM
KCW

Garage
I dont understand the check engine light on your raider, I dont remember you talking about it?

If the check engine light comes on, doesnt it store a fault code? Cant the shop read the code?

Did the engine act up with the light on? Feel like limp home mode or not run right?

Some faults on cars will come on, and clear up and go back off, like a loose gas cap tripping an evap code, but the fault would still be stored in the ECM.

If the light is randomly coming on and there are no codes, the light circuit is defective, the engine is fine.

BTW, I think it should be official policy on this website, if anyone decides to get a MC from another company then no explanation or grief is called for, simply because yamaha dropped the Vstar line, and the only Vtwin left is the new Venture.

Last edited by KCW; 02-10-2019 at 06:56 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
NGM
Lifetime Premium

It keeps throwing code 37 for throttle position. The bike went out of warranty while sitting for the month at the dealer. I refused to pick it up because I knew there was an issue but they basically threw their hands in the air. Now when I took it in the light was on and the code was showing. I even had the service writer take a pic of it on the tablet they use to write up the bikes. So I had to pick it up after a month plus of her sitting there. We have bought 4 bikes from this dealer. They kept telling me it had to fail there. As an auto tech I understand that. I am not upset with them. When the light would come on it would hold a high idle. With the aftermarket exhaust it sounded like I was being an azzhole at lights. On hot days the high idle caused excessive heat.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 08:10 PM
KCW

Garage
Im still confused. If the bike threw a position sensor fault, they replace the position sensors. If it throws more faults they replace the ECM (which has the circuit that reads the position sensor). If it keeps throwing faults they replace the cable wiring between the sensor and the ECM.

it sounds like they did nothing, because they could not read an error on the sensor, or they cleared the fault and it did not immediately come back.

Intermittent faults and problems are difficult to debug, but the solution tree in the service manual is clear - if you cannot isolate the fault because it goes away, you start replacing the sensors and modules flagged by the fault code.

It sounds like they did not want to follow the procedure in the service manual. This is a real PITA if you are fixing the motorcycle yourself, but for a dealer shop, they pass the cost of all the replaced parts on to Yamaha.

Last edited by KCW; 02-10-2019 at 08:13 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:41 PM

Garage
Have you picked up the new bike yet. We are waiting for pictures.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
NGM
Lifetime Premium

This is Crystal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14646_1550332387419.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	83392  
lesblank and nurtaeff like this.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 09:58 AM

Garage
Very nice looking. How's the ride?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode