Pirelli Night Dragon - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Pirelli Night Dragon

I managed a whopping 6k miles on the stock Metzler's, granted they had sat on the dealership for about 4 years. I looked around at a few different options for replacement. Deciding to consider myself a reasonably aggressive rider, I wanted something that had decent life as well as a good grip. I opted for a set of Pirelli Night Dragon front and rear. I stayed stock on the front and went to the 240 on the rear, partly out of curiosity of handling improvement and stock 210 seem to be quite hard to find and cost more. Front depth is 5/32" and rear is 8/32".

Initial thoughts on the ride home is that they seem grippey enough that I am likely going to get myself in trouble haha. Been cold and rainy since I installed them, so haven't a chance to scrub them in much, though I did put about 30 miles on them today. The bike does sit up a bit higher from the taller tire, which gives the seat feeling that it wants to lay over easier. I haven't worked them in quite enough to push it in to some hard corners, but I think I am going to like these tires. And interested to out how many miles before I wear them out.

Added interesting thing is the shop that installed them uses Dynabeads. They put 1 oz in the front and 2 oz in the rear. I use these in my truck with 35x12.50r18 Nitto Terra Grapplers...I like them on the truck enough because I don't have weights flying off all the time. So I will be interested to see if I can tell any long term affects they have on the bike tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pirelli.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	83464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Metzler.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	83466  
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Checking back in after around 750 miles or so. It's been a good mix between side streets and interstate, as well as solo and 2 up riding. Front tire seems to be holding up well, currently at 4/32. Back tire has me a little more curious though, I may have to double check my measurements, but looked to be 5/32. As for performance, I don't know that I could ask for more. Going through turns, it feels like I am on a little street bike, not a big heavy cruiser. It actually feels like the tires want to be worked on the turns. Instead of leaning with the bike, I feel like I almost need to lean the bike and crawl on top of it and just keep the throttle twisted. Straight line shifts, the tires hook up great with no side to side shift. Tar snakes and drawbridge grating seem to have little to no affect on them. I haven't had to go across any milled roads yet to know how well they handle that. As for chicken stripes, I feel and look to be using most the rear tire pretty routinely.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190331_095058.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	83706  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 07:11 PM
KCW

Garage
am I reading this right, you think you wore of 3 of the 8/32" tread depth in just 750 miles

so another 1500 miles the back tire is bald?!

are you taking the curve of the tire surface into account when you measure the thread depth?

maybe you hit one of the wear bars with the tire gauge?

Last edited by KCW; 03-31-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
KCW, I thought it was a little much as well. AND am a bit embarrassed about what caused the result. I either had the gauge turned to mm side or wasn't holding my tongue right. Just ran out and double checked it and still had 7/32 at the couple spots I checked in one area. Angle of the picture does make it look closer to 6, but that was due to trying to hold the gauge and the camera at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190331_220607.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	83722  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
3K mile check in. Weather has been back and forth, plus work, so haven't been able to get as much time on the bike as I have wanted. So far the tires seem to be holding up pretty well. I took the measurements in a few different spots and lowest I saw was the 6/32 in the picture. Bike doesn't track with road cracks, I have dragged the nub on the peg in a few corners and the tires still cried for more, plus they look good haha. Not a lot of time on wet roads to report.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3k tires.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	84906  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:23 PM

Garage
What bike are they on might i ask. I had Metzler's on my 1800 VTX and i was dissapointed with the wear to say the least.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Deek, Bonnie is a '14 Raider. Yeah, I was not overly impressed with the OEM tires, but wrote it off to basic stock tires and possibly age.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 08:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
Deek, Bonnie is a '14 Raider. Yeah, I was not overly impressed with the OEM tires, but wrote it off to basic stock tires and possibly age.
After getting my head out of the sand i realized it was in the warrior forum. I think my VTX1800C is very similar as a warrior. I ended up using 4 sets of rubber in 33,000. I am wondering if the bigger muscle bikes just like eating rubber. 1 problem i found with the vtx is the low profile tire size really limited the amount of brands available. I believe the Metzlers had the shortest life span. Dunlop was the best. I also pushed replacement farther than i should have.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Odd as it was, it was actually easier to find the 240's than the stock 210's. Price was generally better as well. Could just be that the bigger bikes make you twist your wrist a little harder haha. I looked around at different brands and tried to chase some rabbit holes on tire options, most threads would ask questions and say yup, got Brand X and love it, then no further information. I am trying to give a bit longer lasting review and updates for anyone looking at this combo.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 08:54 PM

I'm kind of surprised that Metzler's get that milage I've always got 10 to 12 thousand miles. I would like to get them for The Strat but they don't make them.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode