New RAIDER owner, few quick questions... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

New RAIDER owner, few quick questions...

Hi Everyone,

I am a new raider owner, but not new to this forum... I owned a 2005 vstar 1100 previously, traded that for a gsxr 750, and am now back on a cruiser with a 2010 Raider... Anyways, after getting this bike, naturally, I started looking into the basics... and I have a few questions...

First- I noticed only 2 different exhausts seem to be available for under $400... Cobra dragsters, or a few different styles of Hard Krome brand pipes... (I had Cobra pipes on the old V-star and loved them). My question / concern is which sound better, and SHOULD I get a power commander if I switch pipes? What is the Cobra "Power Port"??? Also, this whole power commander business is new to me, which brings me to....

Second- Are the dynojet power commanders plug and play? are they difficult to install? Is there enough room to hide it on the bike?

Third- Are there any links or suggestions on what is the easiest way to change the transfer case oil? I plan on doing the maintenance myself... I've seen some instructions elsewhere, but nothing on here... I tried to search...

Also, anything else useful as far as maintenance or suggestive opinions on anything to do with this bike, based on personal experience would greatly be appreciated! thanks all, and glad to be back!

Last edited by erik6911; 02-27-2013 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 08:09 PM

Re: New RAIDER owner, few quick questions...

There is an auto tuner add on for the pcv or you can just get the tuner itself. From what I understand (have yet to buy mine) you hook it up to your laptop and there are preset options depending what add one you have on your bike. Or you can go as far as fuel per cylinder and do your own custom mapping. This is just needed off the research I have done.

A lot of people use the cobrafi but the pcv is the only one that decreases fuel. In later gears less fuel is added to sustain optimum power.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

I was also wondering if getting a cobra exhaust, the tri pro exhaust, where it is 2 into one, with baffles, would eliminate the need to get a power commander... since it should still offer some backpressure vs drag pipes... basically, i have anxiety about getting an exhaust and having it backfire upon decel, and i know nothing about power commanders/fuel programmers... also it doesnt seem that there are many places to hide a power commander on the bike... If anyone has or knows of a good sounding exhaust that wont backfire like crazy if you dont have a power commander, suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

also, with the speedster slashdowns, would those have baffles, or are they straight through? i guess i need some education about these exhaust options...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 04:27 PM

Re: New RAIDER owner, few quick questions...

Some say a tuning is not needed if you just do exhaust and not intake. You could always take it to Yamaha and they can remap for you for about 100$

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode