Odd knocking sound at low rpm accelleration - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Odd knocking sound at low rpm accelleration

I've always been the type to think that I take care of my toys, small to large; keep them tuned, well lubed, and clean. But one thing that's bothering me (that the dealer said was normal) is this knocking sound when accellerationg in a low gear at low rpm.

Here's an example: I have a corner that needs second gear to turn onto. It's got a bit of an incline at the beginning. Its exteremly prominent on this hill. Gear down to second, cut across oncoming lane and accellerate up and around onto road. So the speed is about 25 MPH, depending on how ballsy I feel for the day and if I can get across the lane without traffic interfering. So 25 MPH when I hit the base and start rolling on the throttle. As soon as I do, I hear a knock knock sound the same speed as the engine rpm.

It sounds like a lifter but I can't tell; I've never had a lifter go bad in any of my vehicles.

On top of that when rolling on the throttle from idle speed, there's a bit of a ping to the motor. Can especially be heard at a stop when setting up to take off. Just a really high pitch ping. This though doesn't last more than a split second. I've tried different grades of fuel from different stations but both ping and knock are always there.

Any other 1900 owners out there that can verify that this is normal, as the dealer tried to pass me?

Thanks in advance!

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Wow. This has got to be the longest a post has gone without some reply. No one has any clue? I'll see about posting some sound samples after my trip up to TN.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 07:03 AM

The sound disappears at speed? Have you inspected the plugs or ran a treatment of Seafoam or other carbon buster in the tank yet? Do you have ethanol free gas available in your area ( http://pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html ) ?

I'm not saying you have a fuel problem. It's just nice to eliminate it from the equation.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

That's what I was trying to do with the different gas stations and grades. Ill fill this next tank up and top it with seafoam to see how she does, although I don't think it should matter. Barely have 3k miles and she's done it since about 1k (that I noticed at least).
And yes, I gave her new oil at about 700 miles, so its not the oil I don't think.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 08:23 AM

With only 3k miles the Seafoam shouldn't be offering much benefit. I'm not sure you're hearing a problem or a normal characteristic of the motor.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

So after a long haul ride to TN and back to AL, the bike is still having that knock. It seems to be getting worse, as in longer through the low power band, not in pitch. Thinking it might be the oil? Its about due for a change. I am thinking of going with a heavier oil this time instead of 20w50 v-twin oil. Maybe that might help out? As far as the higher pitched ting when revving from idle, I think that's low octane ping, but not sure. Will put octane booster on top of high grade for the next few tanks and see what that does.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 04:28 PM

Normal jackshaft noise? Read this really old article and see if any of it applies.

http://roadstarclinic.com/component/...,13/id,364732/

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Sounds about right. I remember reading this somewhere when doing research on the bike before purchasing it earlier this year. Sounds seem to be coming from the cooling fins and above, so going to assume piston head noise. Wouldn't thicker oil help with this sound especially since its getting above 90 degrees in humid area? Sure it'll eat mileage up a bit since its higher viscosity, but personally I would give up a bit of mileage for a protected engine if it would help at all.

Thoughts?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 05:43 PM

Use whatever recommended oil you want. There's plenty of opinions on the subject. If it just happens to muffle the noise, then great. A noisy jackshaft would be one of the few noises I would think has a chance to be muffled with a heavier viscosity oil.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 01:08 PM

Love that video...and I think the noise I might be hearing on my Roadie might be headlight rattle which someone posted about...thanks for the link.

Annie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode