Dyno results greater when bike was stock? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Dyno results greater when bike was stock?

What a day. I took my bike to a performance shop here in VA to have my bike tuned. I gotta say I was greatly disappointed. I bought my Raider in 2013 brand new leftover model. No miles on it. After the first 800 miles I had it dyno'd. Results were 92hp/9ftlb tq. Since then I've lightly modded the bike, see list below.

LA Choppers Wicked Curves Exhaust
Patrick Racing Hi-Flow Air Kit
PCV/Autotune

I couldn't get the bike dialed in, that in itself doesn't surprise me since I am not a tuner or mechanic. So today I took it to a performance shop in VA about 70 miles from where I live. I was so disappointed, when I left there the guy said he had only tuned 1cyl so far and that he had to tune the other cyl. I took a look at the dyno results up to this point and saw only 78hp/105ftlb tq. I asked him about it and he said that he was only about 60% done but not to expect much higher than that. Of course I immediately whipped out the results of my base dyno pull when the bike was stock and showed it to him. So he looked at the results of another Raider that he previously tuned for a customer with Morton turndown pipes and a PCV. That bike pulled at 90hp/115ftlb tq. So obviously something is wrong. Both shops, this one and the shop I had the first pull done at uses the SAE standard so the results should be fairly close with the exception maybe 1 or 2hp. But seeing as how I have added performance parts to the bike I was expecting at least 100hp and at least 125ftlb tq. And looking at a lot of the other Raiders dyno results on Raiderperformance.com I am right to expect at least that kind of increase. Has anyone here ever experienced this? I left my bike at the shop, didn't even get to enjoy a ride home. The guy is going to see if there is an issue with my bike as he agrees that I should be getting more power and tq than what we are seeing. Man this is a bummer. I'm bummed out. Happy 4th my @$$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 04:19 PM
Banned

You're not going to get 100/125 with the mods you made. I'd say your before numbers are a little high and your after numbers are low. Why they're low, I have no idea. Did RnR che k your installs? Some isn't installed right and your map is still bad.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by t84a View Post
You're not going to get 100/125 with the mods you made. I'd say your before numbers are a little high and your after numbers are low. Why they're low, I have no idea. Did RnR che k your installs? Some isn't installed right and your map is still bad.
I'm not so sure about that T. There are some dyno results posted on raiderperformance.com with similar mods getting up to 107hp. Now I realize every bike is different but I figure I should definitely be upwards of 100hp with these mods. Of course I am not a tuner or mechanic, I'm only going by the research that is out there.

I left the bike with Rick at RnR. He agrees that something is definitely not right as he compared the results to another raider that he tuned for another customer. He assures me that if there is a problem he will find it and fix it. I'm hoping for the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Here is a video of a 2012 Yamaha Raider http://youtu.be/enCc5chpM6Y, the same as mine. Read the comments left by the tuner. This bike with almost same mods as my bike got 102hp at the wheel. Plus as stated earlier there are at least 4 dyno charts on raiderperformance.com that shows Raiders with like mods (pipes, PR Air Kit, PCV or PC3) that dyno'd at 100 to 100+ hp and over 120ftlb tq. It can definitely be done from what I see.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 07:33 AM
Banned

A dyno operator can produce whatever numbers he wants. These arguments go on every day. The issue is what's going on with your bike? I'd call Power Commander and ask them exactly how you (or RNR) can test the unit. I think the odds of that piece of the new puzzle being the problem is the highest. Plus, remove the Autotune. That will eliminate an unnecessary piece.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
A dyno operator can produce whatever numbers he wants. These arguments go on every day. The issue is what's going on with your bike? I'd call Power Commander and ask them exactly how you (or RNR) can test the unit. I think the odds of that piece of the new puzzle being the problem is the highest. Plus, remove the Autotune. That will eliminate an unnecessary piece.
Actually that is one of the things that is supposed to be done, removing the autotune. However one thing I noticed. Right before I took the bike in, I uploaded a zero map to the powercomander. Not only did my gas mileage improve while riding the bike to the shop (70 miles 1 way), but the bike felt good, powerful as it did when it was stock. I'm thinking to just have Rick finish the tune, get the bike back, and just ride it. I'm not thrilled about spending a bunch more money on this thing.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 05:18 PM

Sorry but people will never learn to quit fooling around with the 113s, a ton have spent upwards of $ 1500.00 on mods and than have to get somebody with a dyno to try to get it to run right.
Over on the liner forum over the years we have had lots of folks give up go back to stock, and now the hot setup is the Ivans reflash, supossed to make the bike run great.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNA118 View Post
Sorry but people will never learn to quit fooling around with the 113s, a ton have spent upwards of $ 1500.00 on mods and than have to get somebody with a dyno to try to get it to run right.
Over on the liner forum over the years we have had lots of folks give up go back to stock, and now the hot setup is the Ivans reflash, supossed to make the bike run great.
I didn't know there was anything to learn. From the initial research of bikes to buy the raider was the best option for me. As far as modding the bike, who doesn't mod a bike? We build it, you make it your own. Does that sound familiar lol? But no worries, experience is the best teacher and I have learned a lot from this experience. Only thing I can do now is see what Rick comes up with.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Banned

I have the flash on my Raider. My mods are minimal: V&H 2-1, open airbox, and a PCV. That's it. The flash would be my first mod if I were starting from scratch.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 05:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekyl30 View Post
I didn't know there was anything to learn. From the initial research of bikes to buy the raider was the best option for me. As far as modding the bike, who doesn't mod a bike? We build it, you make it your own. Does that sound familiar lol? But no worries, experience is the best teacher and I have learned a lot from this experience. Only thing I can do now is see what Rick comes up with.
You've done nothing wrong. Pipes, intake, and fuel manager is standard stuff. In the end, I bet your issues are something simple. I'd make sure RnR is checking the basic stuff before your bike gets back on the dyno. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode