Speedometer problem - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Speedometer problem

I recently bought a new 2009 Raider-S and love the bike. Rides like a dream. But I've discovered a problem with my speedometer. I'm traveling about 5 to 7 miles slower than the speedometer indicates.

I've tested it running with three different bikes and a car on cruise control. If I'm leading the other bikes and my speedometer reads 70, the other three riders say I'm running at 65. While following the car on cruise control doing 70, I have to run at 75 to keep up with it.

The mechanic at the small Yamaha dealership I go to says it seems to be fine after looking at it, but I'm not inclined to agree after testing it against four other vehicles and arriving at the same conclusion each time.

Has anyone else encountered the same problem? And I'm guessing I should try to take it to a larger dealership with better equipment to get it checked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 09:28 PM

I had the same issue with a Vulcan 900. And I think its fairly common among bikes.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 08:10 AM

I have an '08 Raider and it reads the same - about 5-7 MPH high (verified with a Garmin GPS). I had a '04 Suzuki Intruder 800 and it had the same issue. I think this is common for a lot of models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 02:59 PM

Its done intentionally to avoid legal liability. If you crash you cant say it was because you were going faster than you though and therefore yamaha is liable. Blame the lawyers.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Banned

yep - same thing with my '02 Road Star Warrior - I fixed it by putting on a set of Carlini super sweep drag bars which totally obstructed my view of the speedometer.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 03:53 PM

There are very stiff penalties for any bike imported into the US to have a speedometer that reads below actual speed. Not wanting to pay the fines, Import manufacturers error 8-10% high to be sure. In most cases though, the Odometer is very close to actual.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 06:23 AM

Seems with a lot wanting to go with a 240 rear instead of the 210, that might be a cure....no?

Slow awake, Fast asleep.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 08:31 AM
Lifetime Premium

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderrider1 View Post
I recently bought a new 2009 Raider-S and love the bike. Rides like a dream. But I've discovered a problem with my speedometer. I'm traveling about 5 to 7 miles slower than the speedometer indicates.

I've tested it running with three different bikes and a car on cruise control. If I'm leading the other bikes and my speedometer reads 70, the other three riders say I'm running at 65. While following the car on cruise control doing 70, I have to run at 75 to keep up with it.

The mechanic at the small Yamaha dealership I go to says it seems to be fine after looking at it, but I'm not inclined to agree after testing it against four other vehicles and arriving at the same conclusion each time.

Has anyone else encountered the same problem? And I'm guessing I should try to take it to a larger dealership with better equipment to get it checked out.
my 08 will read 35 when im doing 70!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 11:24 PM

I have heard that putting on the 240 will cure that problem. I plan on finding out in about 4000 miles (from what I hear also about tire life).

2009 Raider S Raven new 2009 on 7/28/12 with 0 miles.
Fixed backrest, drilled exhaust, upgraded Ultrastar bulb, Model 30 LED spot driving lights, Wolo 619 Big Bad Max airhorn, and a LoJack I am hoping to never use.

Mistakes are Forever, Forgiveness is Longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode