poor fuel mpg? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

poor fuel mpg?

So after 52 miles my gauge on the Raider shows 1/2 a tank, i went ahead and topped it off the see how much fuel i use, 1.6 gallons, which is roughly 32.5 mpg. Is this average? Only mods to the bike are cobra swept pipes and fuel commander fi2000. I will admit the first 40 miles or so i did twist the throttle alot. Btw, this is in town miles, not hiway. Whatcha think?

2009 Raider, Cobra Swept Pipes, Cobra Fuel Commander, Memphis Shades bullet fairing. Trying to wear out the rear so I can throw a 240 on it!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 04:17 PM

Mileage

Tice,

Not sure if your bike is broken in? That could make a difference. I dont' think your mileage will be much different than my Liner. Stock it can vary a lot from 35 to 50 maybe. I don't get the 50 anymore since all the alcohol is added to the gas.

There is a big difference in what type of riding you do. Highway miles over 60 MPH it goes down. Of course city stop and starts mileage goes down. Best mileage is crousing about 50 to 55 MPH. The throttle makes a really big difference. You can see 10 MPG just on that.

I believe the addon's like exaust, air intake, and controller also cut mileage a little. Of course you gain some power.

Dave
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Bike is broke in, 26,xxx on it, i just got this one two weeks ago. Still waiting til next fill up to see if its any different. My Vstar 650 gets close to 45 in town, which is what i expected from it. Just wandered if the Raiders mpg was average. Thanks for the info Dave.

2009 Raider, Cobra Swept Pipes, Cobra Fuel Commander, Memphis Shades bullet fairing. Trying to wear out the rear so I can throw a 240 on it!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tice View Post
Bike is broke in, 26,xxx on it, i just got this one two weeks ago. Still waiting til next fill up to see if its any different. My Vstar 650 gets close to 45 in town, which is what i expected from it. Just wandered if the Raiders mpg was average. Thanks for the info Dave.
Don't think you have much to worry about, we all get different milage. I think you are on the low end, but others are too. I most always get 50+ on my 1100, but I ride pretty easy. The right hand has a ton to do with your mpg Ride safe.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, my right hand does like to twist it up!!!!! Lol. I have been taken it easy this past week to see how much of a difference it makes, should be a little aleast. Really not too worried unless it drops down more.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 08:38 PM

Tires

Tice,

Another thing your right hand has a really big bearing on is tire life. With these 1900's hard acceleration is really hard on tires. Mileage can vary from 6,000 to 12,000 miles on that big rear tire.

Just so you know.

Dave
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Figured that would be the case on the tire. Previous owner replaced the rear tire about 4000 miles ago. He keep a good record on everything done to the bike, from oil changes to tires and even what was used. He definetly kept track and care of the bike. I just replaced the front tire, two days after buying it. Owner of the dealership gave me a great deal on it since no one noticed the dry rot on the sidewall.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 10:48 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
Sounds like great mileage for a bent wrist and town driving. My strat will hit those #s when in town and on the throttle.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

what are your cobra fi settings on? try adjusting them after each tank to see how that affects your gas mileage
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
what are your cobra fi settings on? try adjusting them after each tank to see how that affects your gas mileage
Dont know. Didnt know it was adjustable!! Lol Guess i need to check it out! Lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in