engine knock when leaning left - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
mak

engine knock when leaning left

I found (1) other guy with this knock that never figured it out either.
Since my bike had about 600 miles on it, I've been hearing an engine knock only when leaning into a left turn during acceleration. Mentioned it to (3) different Yamaha mechanics over the last 3 summers, with responses from "I'm not hearing it" to "I wouldn't worry about it, it's under warranty". I found 1 other guy that had the exact same description and also got nowhere. The last I messaged him, he was considering selling because he was concerned it was going to let loose right after warranty.
Any one else ever notice this knock? Sounds like it's coming from left side. I'm hard of hearing and I can hear it!!!
Any input would be appreciated. I've got 13,000 miles now and it may have gotten just a little worse. Funny thing is it is quiet as can be for about the first 15 minutes until it gets warm, then it starts.
Thanks, Mak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 05:05 PM

Is it possible that the left hand turn is bouncing the noise off the ground and it's actually been there all the time?

If you had a bearing going bad, it would have gone bad a LONG time ago. In fact, it should have went soon after you first heard it. It would be more likely that you are hearing normal jack shaft noise or gear noise from all the straight cut gears. It might even be a loose front drive belt pulley (which sounds likely because you're noticing it when accelerating). Bearings don't get better and you've been hearing this for 3 summers now.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
mak

Raider motor knock

Thanks so much for your input sparkn.
I have actually read the same things as you described. I'm guessing the front pulley possibly but how do you explain no knock until it gets good and warm? (about 15 minutes of driving or so).
I have actually gone to a test drive event and drove another raider. Unfortunately, was not able to hit left hand turns being it was a pre-planned rout by factory reps.
I think I will check the pulley issue. I read about a problem with a Striker that matches your description.
I love the bike but I totally hate that knock.
Thanks so much for your response!!

Mak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 09:17 PM

Not hearing it when things are cold doesn't mean it isn't there, but a lot can happen after metal, oil, belts, etc. warm up. Just remember if you check everything and never find anything you may someday have to come to the conclusion that the sound could be normal. I only say that because the fact that it's been three years just baffles me that if it were something to be concerned about it hasn't become worse to the point of being painfully obvious.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar

Last edited by sparkn; 08-20-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode