Motor not turning over - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Motor not turning over

Okay here goes I put a new starter on new battery in I wrote it on New Year's Eve it was warm then a week later I went to start it SSM the battery was dead so I charge battery and it just seemed that the starter would whine and not turn over the motor so I took the left side crankcase cover off and I checked the starter clutch and it locks and One Direction and spends on the other so I got everything back together put the new starter on put the new battery in and it's doing the same thing sounds like the starter is just spinning if I open the cap on the top I can see the gear turn on the back of the flywheel the bike will not turn over
bullboy0852 and bullboy0852 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 08:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Langley View Post
Okay here goes I put a new starter on new battery in I wrote it on New Year's Eve it was warm then a week later I went to start it SSM the battery was dead so I charge battery and it just seemed that the starter would whine and not turn over the motor so I took the left side crankcase cover off and I checked the starter clutch and it locks and One Direction and spends on the other so I got everything back together put the new starter on put the new battery in and it's doing the same thing sounds like the starter is just spinning if I open the cap on the top I can see the gear turn on the back of the flywheel the bike will not turn over
mine would do that in cold temps the oil is thick and hangs up the rollers in the starter clutch, i had to point a heat gun into the oil fill hole for a min to start it, otherwise the starter would just spin, it happened in temps under 40 F

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I thought that too but now it has brand new brand new and it's stillspinning and not catching
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

I keep second-guessing myself that I maybe I didn't turn the starter clutch hard enough but sure ain't catching the flywheel
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 12:17 PM

Sure sounds like the starter clutch to me.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

I agree it sounds like a starter clutch to me as well but everything that I've read in the book says that if it turns One Way freely and engages the other then it's good and mine does that engages one way and it spins freely the other I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and take it to the shop just for peace of mind I am beyond baffled
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 07:43 PM

Hey Guys, I was out riding last Sunday, coldish day but no problems parked up for three days and the bike wouldn't turn over.
The starter would just spin so I thought charge the battery and use my booster pack. Same result no engagement by the starter. Placed in 4th gear rocked back n fourth, lightly tapping drive end of casing whilst bumping the starter... nothing.
Q. Does the starter clutch just stop or does it fail gradually snd what else can i try please?
Tiff

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 07:59 PM

Garage
When my starter clutch went out I had driven to store with no previous issue. Came out to start bike, starter would just spin. Might be different with others but that was my experience.
Tiff913 likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:50 AM
KCW

Garage
by any chance do you have 20W50 oil in your bike?

for cold weather you want 10W40 or 10W30. The oil really does get like glue when its below its rated temp range.

Dont look at oil weights vs temp on the internet, look in your owners manual. If you dont have one for your bike you can download it for free from the Yamaha motorsports website.

If your oil is ok for the cold, then the starter clutch is the thing that engages the flywheel. If its not spinning the engine but the starter motor is spinning, the clutch is not working, no matter how it acts when you turn it by hand.
Tiff913 likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:46 PM

Yep 20w-50 I live in Arizona and it was the only real cold spell all year. 80f today so just going to check if by any chance it will turn over. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode