No electrical power - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No electrical power

Hey all. Having a little trouble with my 2000 1100 Classic.

Well, it was nice and sunny here today, low 70s, great day for a ride. We were about 30 miles from home when I noticed my speedometer and odometer weren't working. I'd just fueled up about 10 miles back and I reset the trip meter so all was good then. I tried the high beams to see if the blue light would come on and everything came on again - for a second. It happened once more before I pulled over. When I stopped and came to an idle everything came back on until I accidentally dumped the clutch and stalled it. Since then, nothing. The bike showed no loss of power from the engine after this happened but I stopped within a mile of noticing the speedometer not working.

Checked all the fuses on the side of the road and all seem good. I noticed the battery was quite warm to the touch too.

So, I trucked it home and pulled the battery. It's been giving me trouble for past week - barely starting after sitting overnight and since the battery's almost 2 years old, I know I'm living on borrowed time with this particular brand. I suspected it was starting to die and eventually that's what I'm hoping happened. I'm going to get it load tested tomorrow but wanted to pick your brains and see if you can offer any other advice. I don't have a good charger or meter but when I hooked it up to my "intelligent" trickle charger, the green "charged" light came on. After a few seconds, the yellow "charging" light came on, faded off, came back on, then faded out again. (Never saw it do that before. When it's hooked up and the battery is low, it's solid yellow, then changes to green when fully charged.) After that, the green light came back on and stayed on.

I should mention that I've never had the tank off so there's no reason to suspect a pinched wire from any recent repairs. I bought it last fall so I don't know what the PO did. There are no added electrical accessories so no one has been playing with the wiring. Like I said, I'm hoping my battery suffered a catastrophic failure, but it strikes me funny that it doesn't even flicker the lights. If it shows a full charge on the charger, there should at least be some minor sparking when I hook it up, shouldn't there? Would a dead short in the battery still show charged on the charger? I know I haven't checked everything yet but I'm hoping someone else experienced this and might have some thoughts. I don't want to replace the battery only to have the same thing happen again. I don't mind wrenching but I suck at electrical diagnosis so I'm hoping it doesn't come to probing at wiring harnesses.

Thanks in advance.
bullboy0852 and bullboy0852 like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:31 PM

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...harging-system when your regulator goes out it causes the speedometer and other electrical devices to act up. it could be cooking your battery hence the warm to touch
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the link Nick. The warm battery made me think rectifier but I was hoping it might just be the battery. The electrical devices are beyond acting up so I'm guessing the battery is cooked. Guess I'll get the battery checked and probably replaced, then test the rectifier. I'll get an OEM for an 05 Roadie if I need one.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:59 PM

the 05 roadie is the way to go
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:22 AM
KCW

Garage
when you get a chance pick up a cheap volt meter.

Harbor freight gives them away for free if you buy something. I have 4 of them now.

Trying to debug electrical problems without one is like trying to change your oil with your eyes closed.
bullboy0852 and bullboy0852 like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My brother is a mechanic and he said he has several so I can borrow one from him. Just had the battery checked and it is indeed toast. I'll pick one up in a day or two and test the regulator but the battery was hot to the touch when this happened so I'm pretty sure it's my problem.

Called the local Yamaha dealer today and priced a regulator. They don't stock the one for an 05 Road Star but he said the picture looks like it has a different connector. Maybe US and Canadian models are different - who knows. If I order it, I bought it so if it doesn't fit I'm out $200. Think I'll go with one for the V Star and maybe add some vent holes in the cover.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 04:51 PM

i don't know why the reg fails.your certainly not near the equator. do you have driving lights putting on a load. i don't know what you pay for shipping but try boats.net or partzilla, there both the same company.i'm pretty sure there around a hundred.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No added lights or accessories. Not sure if any of the previous owners ever added anything but except for the windshield, backrest and grips it's bone stock. $200 was the cost of the one for a Road Star. It's $150 for the V Star regulator. I'm in Canada so I'd probably end up paying more with the exchange and shipping.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 08:36 PM

Garage
batteries can show correct voltage and have low amperage, , a load test is the way to know for sure, soon as you load it the voltage will drop drastically. hit the start button with the meter on it and watch the voltage, if it really bad just turning the key on will drop the voltage. the worst thing you can do is run a battery you know is weak it over works the charging system and shortens stator life. electrical devices hate low voltage and will tell you by failing, for 200.00 you could buy 10 used oem regulators off ebay

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 05-08-2017 at 08:46 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Turning the key on did nothing - no lights, not even a click from the starter. There wasn't even any minor sparking when hooking it up after charging. Load test was conclusive - it's done.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode