Cobra Fuel Processor - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Cobra Fuel Processor

Long story short.

While my new leftover 2014 1300 Tourer was still in the dealership, I had a Cobra Slip-On muffler installed, along with a Cobra fuel processor.

My receipt shows Fi2000R, not 2000R-O2.

I'm about to have a Cobra Power-Flo intake installed, which the shop knew when I ordered the aforementioned items.

My questions are:

If the wrong processor were installed, would it affect the O2 sensor?

Also, I average 114-117 miles before the low fuel light comes on. Does this sound right?

The bike seems to run OK, although it seems quicker & more responsive when it's cold, as opposed to running at operating temp.

Any opinions are welcome.

TIA,

Rick

Edit To Add:
Also, looking at the pics on the Cobra site, the Fi200R O2 has the O2 imprinted on it,
mine doesn't.

2014 1300 Tourer. Cobra Fuel Processor, Cobra Slip-On Muffler, Lindby Multi-Bar,
Cobra PowerFlo, Yamaha Lightbar, Wolo Big Boy. Bag Guards & Trim Rails ED Seat

Last edited by arby; 05-09-2017 at 07:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:51 AM

Garage
Yes you should have the O2 model.
That sounds like bad mileage, however its possible depending on how hard its driven. That sounds pretty aggressive to me.
Check to see if there is 2 sets of wiring coming out of your Fi2000. One set heads up under the tank and has 2 conectors in it to connect to the injectors. The O2 model has a harness that also heads down to the O2 sensor on the pipes, right down by the right footrest area.
You can follow the sets of wires from the Fi2000 and if there is only one bundle heading up under the tank then it the wrong one. If you have wires also heading down to the bottom of the bike then you are good.
If you have an O2 model then you just have to play with the settings until you get a happy power vs economy setup.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcfluid View Post
Yes you should have the O2 model.
That sounds like bad mileage, however its possible depending on how hard its driven. That sounds pretty aggressive to me.
Check to see if there is 2 sets of wiring coming out of your Fi2000. One set heads up under the tank and has 2 conectors in it to connect to the injectors. The O2 model has a harness that also heads down to the O2 sensor on the pipes, right down by the right footrest area.
You can follow the sets of wires from the Fi2000 and if there is only one bundle heading up under the tank then it the wrong one. If you have wires also heading down to the bottom of the bike then you are good.
If you have an O2 model then you just have to play with the settings until you get a happy power vs economy setup.
I haven't been too aggressive at all. I've been breaking the motor in, I have on occasion opened it up.

2014 1300 Tourer. Cobra Fuel Processor, Cobra Slip-On Muffler, Lindby Multi-Bar,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:29 PM

Garage
Did you come home with your factory muffler?
That is your property and you should have it to switch back to stock whenever you have to because of noise or emissions testing, resale etc.
That gives you the easy option of putting the stock muffler back on and setting the Fi2000 settings all to 0.
That will give you a baseline to go by for power and economy.
You don't get much power from just the slip on muffler, just more sound. But you should only need a setting somewhere between 1 and 3 on the first low speed pot to reduce lean popping on decelerations. Just use the minimum to improve the lean pop.
The other two pots probably need very little fuel as well, start at 1 and try them out.
Because you never metioned an air filter kit or mod I will assume it is stock. If it is what I said above applies, so check your settings on the Fi2000 and check for O2 sensor wires.
You will need to turn up for more fuel when you get an air filter kit, thats where the power comes from. Notice I said when you get.....
No matter what you should have the O2 model.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Did you come home with your factory muffler?
That is your property and you should have it to switch back to stock whenever you have to because of noise or emissions testing, resale etc.
That gives you the easy option of putting the stock muffler back on and setting the Fi2000 settings all to 0.
That will give you a baseline to go by for power and economy.
You don't get much power from just the slip on muffler, just more sound. But you should only need a setting somewhere between 1 and 3 on the first low speed pot to reduce lean popping on decelerations. Just use the minimum to improve the lean pop.
The other two pots probably need very little fuel as well, start at 1 and try them out.
Because you never metioned an air filter kit or mod I will assume it is stock. If it is what I said above applies, so check your settings on the Fi2000 and check for O2 sensor wires.
You will need to turn up for more fuel when you get an air filter kit, thats where the power comes from. Notice I said when you get.....
No matter what you should have the O2 model.
Thanks, DC.
The bike goes in next month for a Cobra Power Flo, Lightbar & Horn.
As it sits now, The most I've gotten was 117 miles before the lo fuel lite came on.
Does that sound right?
I've opened it up a couple times, but not riding aggressively.

Going out soon to check the wires on the O2 sensor.

Rick

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

I couldn't get the cover by the sensor off. I found 1 allen head, & 2 odd things securing it.
Near as I can tell, there's 1 wire that goes somewhere under the tank, & another wire heading down to the sensor.

I think I'm OK.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 07:18 PM

Garage
The Cobra Fi2000r and the Fi2000r-O2 are pretty much the same tuners. Both are manually adjusted tuners with 3 adjustment pots inside. The only difference, is the O2 model connects between the O2 sensor and the ECU. It basically lies to the ECU telling it that the mixture is at the factory lean setting to prevent the ECU from trying to adjust the mixture.

If you are running a non O2 cobra on a O2 sensor bike like the 1300 and leave the O2 connected, the ECU will vary the mixture chasing for the right setting because the cobra keeps enriching it, and this is not good. So you would need to disconnect the O2 sesnor and then the ECU will run in open loop mode at cruise and idle. But it might throw an engine code from time time. That is why Cobra came out with the O2 in the first place, to lie to the ECU to keep it from trying to lean out the richer mixture.

117 miles is terrible mileage, I have the Cobra Power flow intake and slip on and the Fi2000r O2 and would go 150 to 160 miles before the fuel light. Also your bike is still stock. The factory settings on your Fi2000r until are usually set at 1-3-1 and that is for an open air intake and freer flowing exhaust. So if they are set that way on a stock bike, you are extremely rich. Try dialing back the pots so they are 1-1-.5 or even 1-1-0

Pot one is for idle and cruise, pot 2 is for acceleration, and pot 3 is for wide open throttle.

I went ahead and did the Ivan ECU flash and didn't have to worry about the FMS unit anymore.

Cobra has had 5 FMS units

Fi2000r (manual tuner with no O2 connector)
Fi2000r O2 (with O2 connector)
Fi2000r CARB (california model)
Fi2000 Power Pro Auto Tuner (2 versions, the later one came with a idle and cruise adjustment pot)
Fi Power Pro Black auto tuner. (Has a bluetooth option to control parameters)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 08:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arby View Post
I couldn't get the cover by the sensor off. I found 1 allen head, & 2 odd things securing it.
Near as I can tell, there's 1 wire that goes somewhere under the tank, & another wire heading down to the sensor.

I think I'm OK.
Where did they hide the Fi2000?
Cobra instructions for my 950T have it so you just lift the seat for access.
If you don't have easy access that sucks.
There is a YouTube video of a British rider setting his 1300 Fi 2000 O2 up.
It might be helpful, and I would reposition the Fi2000 under the seat.
Search "Dean UK Biker Martin" Cobra Fi2000
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron58 View Post
The Cobra Fi2000r and the Fi2000r-O2 are pretty much the same tuners. Both are manually adjusted tuners with 3 adjustment pots inside. The only difference, is the O2 model connects between the O2 sensor and the ECU. It basically lies to the ECU telling it that the mixture is at the factory lean setting to prevent the ECU from trying to adjust the mixture.

If you are running a non O2 cobra on a O2 sensor bike like the 1300 and leave the O2 connected, the ECU will vary the mixture chasing for the right setting because the cobra keeps enriching it, and this is not good. So you would need to disconnect the O2 sesnor and then the ECU will run in open loop mode at cruise and idle. But it might throw an engine code from time time. That is why Cobra came out with the O2 in the first place, to lie to the ECU to keep it from trying to lean out the richer mixture.

117 miles is terrible mileage, I have the Cobra Power flow intake and slip on and the Fi2000r O2 and would go 150 to 160 miles before the fuel light. Also your bike is still stock. The factory settings on your Fi2000r until are usually set at 1-3-1 and that is for an open air intake and freer flowing exhaust. So if they are set that way on a stock bike, you are extremely rich. Try dialing back the pots so they are 1-1-.5 or even 1-1-0

Pot one is for idle and cruise, pot 2 is for acceleration, and pot 3 is for wide open throttle.

I went ahead and did the Ivan ECU flash and didn't have to worry about the FMS unit anymore.

Cobra has had 5 FMS units

Fi2000r (manual tuner with no O2 connector)
Fi2000r O2 (with O2 connector)
Fi2000r CARB (california model)
Fi2000 Power Pro Auto Tuner (2 versions, the later one came with a idle and cruise adjustment pot)
Fi Power Pro Black auto tuner. (Has a bluetooth option to control parameters)
Thank you for the info!
I plan on doing the Flash after the warranty expires.

Guess I'll pull the plugs & see what they look like.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Where did they hide the Fi2000?
Cobra instructions for my 950T have it so you just lift the seat for access.
If you don't have easy access that sucks.
There is a YouTube video of a British rider setting his 1300 Fi 2000 O2 up.
It might be helpful, and I would reposition the Fi2000 under the seat.
Search "Dean UK Biker Martin" Cobra Fi2000
It sits where the toolkit was, right on top of the battery box.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode