2007 Vstar 1300 weird issue - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

2007 Vstar 1300 weird issue

Hi, 07 star w/4.5k. EJK, cobra speedster shorts. I have a weird issue that comes and goes on my bike. Sometimes after sitting or just randomly (and this happened without the EJK), my bike will start in high idle, go to regular idle, then will fall into a weird stumbling staggering idle and back to normal idle and maybe back and forth a few times. The only way I can describe it is....on a carb bike when you twist the throtle wide open and the bike doesnt respond, instead sounds like you've covered the intake and it sounds like its grabbing for air. Please help, this is the only issue with my bike *knock on wood*. I have a long ride coming up in 2 weeks and am taking it to a local shop to get valves/plugs/TB sync (yes early but shes a bit elder) so I'm thinking of getting them to flush the tank. Will be running seafoam too. Thank you for any help!

****Exact same issue as in this video****

Last edited by mkhatcher; 06-19-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:48 PM

Garage
Spark plugs and throttle body sync are the only things I can think of. When was the last time the plugs were changed? Almost sounds like at times it is on one cylinder.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply! And I have no idea, I just bought it in April lol. I'm gonna have him do all that and anything else we think of here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

And mine doesn't sound as bad as when his is about to die, just that weird idle
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 07:05 AM

Garage
There is an idle speed control (electric solenoid), that opens to allow additional air past the throttle blades when the throttle is closed - to control idle speed. This provides the cold engine fast idle and prevents stalling when the throttle blades are snapped shut. A dirty valve can cause idle speed hunting.

On "cars" this valve will get gummed up and that causes the problem you are having. The fix is to spray throttle body cleaner through the valve while the engine is running to wash out the sludge. Sometimes you just have to replace the valve.

The 1300 has a similar valve/setup, you may want to try to clean it.

If nothing else, I would at least clean the throttle body. You can spay some cleaner on the blades (engine off) run a tooth brush around to loosen any build up, then start the engine and spray the TB clean. Alternatively you can spray cleaner on a rag and wipe the throttle blades clean (engine off of course). Its usually the edges and back side of the blades that need the cleaning.

Note Item #9
[IMG]Throttle Body by , on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by CountryB; 02-01-2018 at 02:21 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 07:35 AM
KCW

Garage
I would not try to balance the throttle body or the carbs on a bike if it is not running right. Being out of balance would not causes the hunting you are seeing, and trying to balance them while it is hunting is impossible, all you can do is screw up the settings and you will never get them back where they were. Then there will be two things wrong with the bike.

Can you put something like an OBD reader on the ECM and see what it thinks it is doing?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 08:20 AM

Garage
This was posted 6 -7 months ago, hopefully fixed by now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode