Tappet Cover Leaking - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By NorthernRider
  • 2 Post By lesblank

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tappet Cover Leaking

Checked my valves today - all good as far as clearances go. But when I put it back together the front tappet cover is leaking badly. I took it back off, made sure both surfaces and the o ring were clean, flipped the o ring over, and it's still dripping. This is a long weekend so I won't be able to get a new o ring until Tuesday. I'm wondering if I could use RTV or something like it to get by until I can fix it properly.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 02:40 PM

Garage
You will get mixed answers on this. I do put a thin coat of RTV on mine. Has never leaked and no issues using it. The one thing you want to avoid is getting RTV on the inside of cover. A small piece could get into an oil passage causing major oil flow issue.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 02:59 PM
KCW

Garage
just replaced a leaky o ring on my 650: $6 at dealer. Simple, no fuss, worked perfect.

how badly is it leaking? you have to clean it off again anyway, so maybe you can just get away with riding it for a couple days.

Mine had been leaking a bit for a couple months before I checked the valves, soaped up everything and cleaned it all off, and then was able to see it was oozing from the rear tappet cover. It was only enough to leave a couple drips on the garage floor in 2 months. I though it was the drive shaft engine seal, so I was happy as can be to replace a $6 o ring on the tappet cover.

Last edited by KCW; 08-06-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This is a serious enough leak that it can't be driven. I've had issues with RTV before with another bike doing exactly what lesblank described so I'm a little hesitant to try it again. I have no problem buying the o ring, except that the dealer is closed until Tuesday (long weekend here in NB). I was looking through my stash of various tubes and it looks like I'm out of RTV anyway so I guess it'll have to wait. Next time I'll have o rings in stock before I start.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, found the problem and as we say in the trucking business, it was driver error. Turned out it wasn't the front exhaust cover that was leaking, but the intake. Oil was running down through the fins and around to the front, dripping from the front cover so it looked like it was the one leaking. The problem was that there is a wire loom holder that fastens to one of the two screws on the intake cover and like a bonehead I put it between the cover and the cylinder instead of under the head of the screw (yeah, yeah, still shaking my head). Anyway, got it all fixed up and aside from a little oil leakage all is good again. Took a lot less time to tear it down this time - practice makes perfect! lol
KCW and KCW like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 08:16 PM

Garage
NorthernRider, I can relate to "driver error", been there more than I like to admit. Just glad you got it figured out. Just chalk it up as a good learning experience. It's funny how that oil seems to have a mind of it's own.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 06:58 AM
KCW

Garage
Oil has such high adhesion when you get it on a hot engine it wicks out in all directions, and its hard to tell where its really coming from.

It did seem odd that an o ring would leak so much that you could not ride the bike - if the o ring was that bad, it would have looked like a piece of rope.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, I thought it looked too good to leak that bad too. If it looked that bad I wouldn't have put it back together without a new one. As soon as I saw the wiring loom I knew I'd found the problem. Had it to work and back today and aside from a little oil smell where it seeped into some cracks and crevices, the there's no more signs of a leak. Appreciate the help and advice.
lesblank and lesblank like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode