V Star 1100 wont start - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Hey all, I rode my bike to and from work yesterday with no problems. Came home, hooked it up the battery maintainer in the garage like normal, then when i went out to go to work this morning it wouldnt start. Any ideas on what it could be? Here is a short video of what it is doing. https://youtu.be/j4alBGtMmBo
I really dont think it is a dead battery as it is only about two months old and i keep it on the maintainer. Additionally, it was starting really easily yesterday, which is another reason i am so confused.

Thanks.

Last edited by Mystar1100; 08-09-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 08:51 PM
KCW

Garage
the lights on the speedo are going out when you crank it

your battery is either dead, or you have a bad battery connection.

Have to ask, why are you hooking up a battery maintainer if you are riding it everyday?

Its possible the charger failed and boiled all the acid out of your battery.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Hey KCW, thanks for the quick response, yeah, i hook up the maintainer whenever im not riding it. I havent had the time to really even take a look at it yet. I was in my office clothes so i could only do that video. I will have to check out the battery first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 09:18 PM
KCW

Garage
You only need to put the maintainer on the bike if its going to sit for a month or more, esp over the winter.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Gosh, i get different info from everyone about the battery maintainer. I just pulled the cover off the battery and the battery is all swollen up. What is that from?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 09:35 PM
KCW

Garage
that will happen if the battery is overcharged. The water boils out, and if it cant vent it can burst.

it could either be from the maintainer overcharging it, or your bikes charging system is putting out too much voltage (bad regulator).

Most batteries are sealed, and have no way to vent if they are overcharged.

I would wear safety glasses and take the battery out of the bike very carefully.

if the battery has swelled up its shot. Since you recently replaced it, that is a likely indication that something else is wrong with the charging system.

If you have a volt meter you can easily see how much voltage the bike is putting on your (next) battery, and also your maintainer.

Last edited by KCW; 08-09-2017 at 09:49 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 09:56 PM

Also check your voltage on the bike when it's running, if the regulator has gone bad, it will bake the battery also.
KCW and KCW like this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Well I feel like a moron for not checking everything out. I just ASSumed my battery fried from using my maintainer too much. But, after a road trip with my new battery it also swelled up and stopped working. On my way down to my destination I could smell something after I got off the highway but couldnt place the smell (it was the battery cooking to a nice crisp). I stopped to change into my business clothes near my meeting and it started with difficulty. Luckily it did start and I got to my meeting on time. When I got to my meeting I turned it off and tried starting it right away. Not even close to starting. With some help I was able to get it push started and get the 100 miles back home. About 30 miles from home the speedometer kept tripping out, going to 0 then to the correct speed. Got home and the battery is toast. Overall, I was very lucky on my trip.

Bottom line do I HAVE to get the bike started and go through the diagnostics or is it like 99.9% sure its my regulator/rectifier? This is the second new battery and was ridden less than 15 hours before it swelled up and gave up the ghost. I never put the maintainer on it with the new battery.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 06:33 AM

My only thoughts would be over voltage or a dead short would do it. Since the bike does run, and gauges work (even sometimes), I would say it's not a short.

You should be able to check it on a bench using a ohms meter. generally 1 of the 3 will be bad, and not all 3, so you just see if one is different, inside the rectifier.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 06:40 AM

Garage
It sounds like the rectifier is shot. When mine went I noticed my speedo and all lights weren't working. Pulled over and it was dead, not even a click from the starter, no lights. When I took off the battery cover my battery was hot to the touch. Took it home in my truck and had the battery tested. It was completely dead. Did some research and learned about the rectifier, then bought a new battery and checked the voltage across the new battery when the bike was running. It was over 19V, which indicated a bad rectifier that was overcharging the battery. Put in a new rectifier (easy job) and the voltage dropped to 13.5 - 14, which is normal. I've had no problems since.

There are plenty of cheap rectifiers on eBay - don't waste your money and risk killing another battery. Go with an OEM.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode