Battery problem - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Battery problem

So my battery is bulging. What in the world? I will try to post some pictures of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2217_1518025235454.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	77762   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2216_1518025262760.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	77770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2215_1518025289294.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	77778  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 11:47 AM

Garage
It looks like the battery was overheating. i would have it tested, and also check the charging system to be sure it is not overcharging.
jbasile and jbasile like this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 11:53 AM
KCW

Garage
It will do that if you over charge it, with a shop charger or if your bike charging system has a failed regulator.

It will also do that if the battery was nearly dead, and it froze. A charged battery is filled with acid and will not freeze. A dead battery is mostly water.

Either way, that battery is spent.

If your bike charging system has a failed regulator the only indication you might see is the headlight will be really bright, because it can run well over 15V.

If the regulator is bad you do not want to run your engine - other electronic modules could be destroyed by the higher voltage.

Last edited by KCW; 02-07-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 11:57 AM

Garage
When the voltage regulator starts to fail it will over charge the electical system. Follow link to test.

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...harging-system

Mine went out a few years ago. From experience it will start blowing lights and switches. Use Yamaha replacement, the cheaper after market ones have a reputation of not lasting. And yes you will need to replace the battery.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home

Last edited by lesblank; 02-07-2018 at 12:00 PM.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you all for your valuable information. I am getting a new battery tonight. However, I don't want to mess up my new battery, so can I test this regulator thingy with my old battery by just jumping the motorcycle? I am not too mechanically inclined, but how hard is it to replace the regulator?
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 03:05 PM

Garage
You'll need a volt meter. Start the bike and measure it across the battery. If it's more than 13 or 14 volts your voltage regulator/rectifier is bad. If it's an 1100 it's a known issue. Don't let it run any longer than necessary to test it if the voltage is too high or it'll destroy your new battery. And les is right - don't waste your money on a Chinese regulator from eBay. Get OEM.

The regulator isn't hard to replace. Assuming you have an 1100, it's behind the chrome plastic cover that's under the battery. You'll probably have to remove the exhaust to get to it, then take the cover off. Only a couple of bolts hold the regulator on. Unplug it and install the new one.
lesblank and lesblank like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags

Last edited by NorthernRider; 02-07-2018 at 03:15 PM.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 07:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRider View Post
The regulator isn't hard to replace. Assuming you have an 1100, it's behind the chrome plastic cover that's under the battery. You'll probably have to remove the exhaust to get to it, then take the cover off. Only a couple of bolts hold the regulator on. Unplug it and install the new one.
Generally true, but the screw and clip were rusted together on mine which made getting the regulator out a little more difficult for me. By the way, mine went bad at 11K miles and the replacement at about 48K miles. Bike is on it's third one.

See picture below of clip. This slips over a piece of plastic to support the regulator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clip.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	77786  

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 10:29 PM

Garage
Motorcycle batteries are small. Most of the ones I have seen were not sealed. My battery is not sealed and I check the liquid level every once in a while. If the level gets a bit low, I add distilled water or deionized water and then charge the battery with an intelligent battery charger.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I checked the battery no load, 12-12.4 on the multi-meter. I checked it with the engine running 13.8-13.9. Under the 14 mark, so can I rule out the regulator or is it an intermittent thing? Oh, I took it to teh motorcycle shop around the corner and their fancy meter said the battery was bad, which we knew, but the regulator was putting out 14 volts.

Last edited by fd757; 03-29-2018 at 05:15 PM.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 07:50 AM

Garage
14 amps is perfect. Batteries in vehicles are not charged by amperage but by voltage.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode