Possible head gasket oil leak - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Possible head gasket oil leak

Hey everyone, I need some answers re head gasket change out please.
What difficulty level is it?
Parts & tools list needed?
Where is it best to source parts?
If brought to a mechanic what should it cost & how long would it be off the road?
I will post photos tomorrow.
Thanks in advance.
Tiff913

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 09:09 AM

Garage
I've been around Vstars for a while and never had anyone post issue with head gasket. I suggest cleaning area very good so you can trace exactly where the leak is coming from. Post the pictures so maybe we can help.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 11:04 AM

Garage
My question is the head gasket leaking or the Valve covers or the adjustment caps.. Pics needed for sure

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 11:14 AM

Garage
I agree with les and Mrdub. Oil leaks often have a way of disguising where they originate. I thought I had an oil leak at the front of my front cylinder last summer. It turned out the valve cover was leaking at the rear of it and running along the fins to where it dripped from the front. It was a cheap and easy fix but very deceiving. Clean it up and make sure that's where it's coming from, but I have my doubts it's a head gasket.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Phew, thanks for the reassurance guys, I'll give it a good clean up now and get those photos up. 🖒

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Ok a few photos before the clean up, leak appears to be below head gasket all over the front cylinder fins and down the side casing, front of air filter and pipes

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 06:56 PM

Garage
Hard to tell but look up a little more at the valve adjustment cover. One on front cylinder is chrome and rear cylinder is painted. There is a rubber oring that leaks with age. See attached diagram, Spring is number 25. Very common, cheap and easy fix.

Here is old post.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...aust-port.html

Good luck and keep us informed.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 07:02 PM

Garage
Hey tiff..make sure you clean around the oil filter..it might be leaking .That oil from the filter would blow all over the front of the engine making other things look like they are leaking.. Clean it up and run it.. don't ride it.. if the oil is blowing you won't know where from...

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I'll keep you updated.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 08:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
Hard to tell but look up a little more at the valve adjustment cover. One on front cylinder is chrome and rear cylinder is painted. There is a rubber oring that leaks with age. See attached diagram, Spring is number 25. Very common, cheap and easy fix.

Here is old post.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...aust-port.html

Good luck and keep us informed.
if o ring number 20 leaks it will look like the head is leaking, you can,t see in there directly to see if that o ring is leaking

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode