Possible rev limiter issue or some other problem - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Possible rev limiter issue or some other problem

Last week when passing a car, I downshifted into 4th gear and when I hit 60mph the rev limiter seemed to kick in and I shifted to 5th gear and completed the pass. I duplicated this several times and even tried in 3rd where it started to miss at 45mph, shifted to 4th and increased speed to 60mph where it once again began would miss until I either slowed or shift into 5th gear.

The issue is very consistant and I do not know for shure if it is the rev limiter or something else. Other than this the bike runs great.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2005 V Star 1100 Classic, Mustang seats, Baron ORK, risers and Star handlebar, AIS removed, muffler baffles removed, run/turn/brake light controller, modulating headlight, pods installed in air box, progressive front springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 06:35 PM

Garage
I would check the plugs. When plugs age the gap gets wider making it difficult to achieve a good fire under load. Keep us informed.
KCW likes this.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 06:36 PM

Well, you should hit the fuel cutoff at 71mph in 3rd and 89mph in 4th gear. Hitting the rev limiter would be at 81mph in 3rd gear and 101mph in 4th gear.

Something else is going on, could be the sensor is not sensing rpm right and cutting it earily. I personally would go for the sparkplugs first, might just be iginition is delayed from a faulty/carboned plug.
KCW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 06:43 PM
KCW

Garage
check your airfilter too - if its not white like paper replace it.

It would not necessarily act like a rev limiter, but a dirty air filter is like only being able to open your throttle half way - the air cannot get thru it.

I waited till mine looked like an old grey tee shirt before I replaced it, and then HOLY !&^@% the bike came alive with the new air filter - esp at the peak HP points (55mph in 4th and 70mph in 5th on my 650).
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

The problem is definitely rpm related, there is no miss before I hit a certain rpm. I will check the plugs and filter this morning, but I am not sure where to go from there.

Thanks,
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Checked plugs and TPS and both checked good. Screws are tight on the carb boots so there should not be any vacuum leak there.

2005 V Star 1100 Classic, Mustang seats, Baron ORK, risers and Star handlebar, AIS removed, muffler baffles removed, run/turn/brake light controller, modulating headlight, pods installed in air box, progressive front springs.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 04:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoupGarou View Post
Last week when passing a car, I downshifted into 4th gear and when I hit 60mph the rev limiter seemed to kick in and I shifted to 5th gear and completed the pass. I duplicated this several times and even tried in 3rd where it started to miss at 45mph, shifted to 4th and increased speed to 60mph where it once again began would miss until I either slowed or shift into 5th gear.

The issue is very consistant and I do not know for shure if it is the rev limiter or something else. Other than this the bike runs great.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
if the engine is running on rich side it can't reach maximum rpm but it will stutter like it has my 650 would stutter at 80mph in 5th after leaning it just a little it hits 90 no problem and still didn't hit the limiter to get an engine to hit the limiter it really needs to be in perfect tune it can be a little lean and get there but you risk damage but too rich and it just won't get there

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 07-18-2018 at 04:08 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Thanks Pauli466, I am thinking my original idea of the rev limiter causing the problem is wrong, what made me think that is the was it runs fine until I hit 60mph while in 4th and all of a sudden it starts missing and will not go any faster.

Maybe it is running rich, I inspected the plugs and they are fine color wise.

I will install some new plugs and reset the PMS screws this weekend and let you guys know what the outcome is.

Last edited by LoupGarou; 07-18-2018 at 07:44 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 07:54 AM
KCW

Garage
The PMS set positions in the tables for exhaust and intake mods, are the recommended starting points to set them to, after you have modified the engine, or disassembled the carbs to clean them.

You still need to adjust them further after you set them to the recommended number of turns, based on how the bike is running.

There are two methods for doing the fine tuning - look it up, that might be what the problem is.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 08:06 AM

I just don't think it's a PMS issue. A needle position or main jet maybe if it was the carb at all. Maybe something got into the carb and partially clogged it?
It should be running rough at idle if the PMS was misadjusted.

KCW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode