Torque - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Torque

I "feel" like I may have lost some torque on my Raider. I don't know this for certain. It's not sluggish by any means but I'm not feeling that same rush when I pull on the throttle. I put new plugs in, new air filter and tires, oil change and gear oil changed. I've got Vance and Hines 2 into 2 Big Radius pipes with a Vance and Hines fuelpak. It's running fine. Maybe I'm just getting used to the bike. I don't know. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 07:53 PM
KCW

Garage
Its a very subjective thing.

When I owned air cooled VWs, I knew a super beetle had a flat out level ground no wind top speed of 82mph.

After I did a tune up, there was a country road where I could take the car and hold the pedal down. If I got the timing off or something else was not right, it would not hit 82mph.

I dont know if you could do something similar on your MC - its so freaking fast - maybe a 0 to 60 acceleration time, or track your mpgs to see if its not running right.

The only suggestion I have is run some SeaFoam thru the bike, you might have some varnish in your injectors.

I should change my username to MrSeaFoam

I just did an experiment with my VS650 - I decided to run it on ethanol free regular gas and see if I get better mpgs. The bike seems to be running better, smoother, and cooler (the heat I feel on my pant legs when I stop for a light)...

but I filled it up today. The last tank of 10% ethanol I got 58.5mpg

with this tank of ethanol free gas, I got 58.5mpg - exactly the same, under the same commuting riding conditions.

Even though the bike 'seemed' to be running better to me, I think it was all the placebo effect. If the bike is getting the same fuel-mileage, I dont see how one fuel could have better fuel density per gallon than the other, when it did not show up at the pump.

Maybe the bike is running a little better on the ethanol free gas - maybe Im getting better acceleration, resulting in me riding a little faster all week, which made the fuel economy wash out?

But the bottom line is, the seat of the pants feel is very subjective.

Regular ethanol blend is about $2.80 here. The ethanol free gas is $3.50 If Im going to pay $3 more per tank, and have to drive to one station to get it, Im going to need more than a feeling.

Last edited by KCW; 07-23-2018 at 08:03 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My last 2 fill ups were 92 and 93 octane. I've got 91 octane in the tank now. I wonder if it likes the higher octane and I'm feeling the difference. I'm a Seafoam fan but there has to be something better for the injectors than that. I did read that the only way to really get your injectors clean is to have them removed and done professionally using some vacs or something.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:26 PM

Garage
Maybe you have just gotten use to the torque. The first few times in my go fast cars and bikes my stomach would be left behind me the first few times I nailed it. After a few more times the torque was there but I got used to it. Just an idea as to what it might be as you stated it still runs good. If you figure it out let us know.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Maybe I need a 140 cu, in 2,294 cc Triumph Rocket III. 148 hp and 144.6 lb⋅ft torque.
lesblank and Scrumdown like this.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
My last 2 fill ups were 92 and 93 octane. I've got 91 octane in the tank now. I wonder if it likes the higher octane and I'm feeling the difference...
Are you getting pre-ignition or detonation on the 91 octane? I'm willing to bet that you're just getting used to what the Raider is delivering.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 06:51 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Sounds like you are doing all the right things for the bike. I am betting it is a seat of the pants thing.. UNLESS the fuelpak is not working. Make sure it has power. I would recommend an Ivan flash and do away with the fuelpak. Just my opinion. 120tq and 92HP to the ground with Cobra Sweep pipes. Not the better 2 into 1 like you have.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 06:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
Maybe I need a 140 cu, in 2,294 cc Triumph Rocket III. 148 hp and 144.6 lb⋅ft torque.
This will fix your torque issue man! 405 lb⋅ft
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1BossHoss4.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	81570  

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special

Last edited by nurtaeff; 07-24-2018 at 07:03 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 07:35 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurtaeff View Post
This will fix your torque issue man! 405 lb⋅ft
LOL Yea.. Damn that is a lot of bike to handle though.. LOL
nurtaeff likes this.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 08:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
LOL Yea.. Damn that is a lot of bike to handle though.. LOL
Yes, I think it's insane, but moto vloggers seem to like it. Few reviewers said that handling is not bad when it's rolling. I'd be curious to try it out.

IMO OP just got used to the torque feeling. I experienced the same with my Stryker - it seemed to be super strong for a couple of first months I had it, but then I started noticing the lack of torque at lower speed and a lot of jerkiness. My plan was to send the ECU to Ivan, but I traded it in. OP should really consider doing the flash - almost everybody likes it as it fixes a lot of issues of the stock map.

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode