A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do - Page 2 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

To be certain, I performed a compression test todat and found the front cylinder to be 150 pounds and the rear 0 pounds. So it was time to get started. Parts are on order and I am waiting on a valve spring compressor to continue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181006_134127.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	82510   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181006_134121.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	82512   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181006_134707.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	82514  

2005 V Star 1100 Classic, Mustang seats, Baron ORK, risers and Star handlebar, AIS removed, muffler baffles removed, run/turn/brake light controller, modulating headlight, pods installed in air box, progressive front springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 05:51 PM

Garage
Have you found out what all was damaged? Valves, pistons, etc.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

After I took those photos I went back and pulled the heads and you can see where contact was made. Also did a leak test which failed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181006_150942.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	82520   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181006_180241.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	82522  
KCW likes this.

2005 V Star 1100 Classic, Mustang seats, Baron ORK, risers and Star handlebar, AIS removed, muffler baffles removed, run/turn/brake light controller, modulating headlight, pods installed in air box, progressive front springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 08:25 AM
KCW

Garage
I had not realized on some of these engines the valves are at an angle, not flat with the piston heads.

this would mean if an engine is red-lined and the pistons hit the valves (because the valve springs cannot pull the valves shut fast enough) the valves would be hit at an angle, which would bend them.

There is a thread with another rider who down shifted at 55mph into 2nd gear on a 650 - this is what could have happened to his engine: bent valves.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 08:13 PM

Garage
The head and cylinder look pretty good considering what happened. Might want to rethink milling the head. With a higher lift cam you are all going to move the valve closer to the piston, and an over rev less than you did this time will have more devastating results. Just a thought as I've ruined many a good hot rod engines with builds simular to what you are thinking about doing. I floated valves on my mustang, knock hole in piston and the piston piece went thru oil pan. My rev limiter was set at what I thought was safe, but clearances were just too close. Had duel springs with a very high lift Cam.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 08:25 PM
KCW

Garage
Les, you are mixing up LoupGarou with the guy in Alabama who down shifted and redlined his wife's 650.

Loup was replacing his starter clutch and got the cam timing 180 out, knocking the piston into the valves hard-over.

I cant find the other thread, its not under Vstar bikes or engine issues or general bike talk. Last I remember he was going to take his wife's bike to a shop and have them give him an estimate on the damage.

Last edited by KCW; 10-08-2018 at 08:32 PM.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 08:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Les, you are mixing up LoupGarou with the guy in Alabama who down shifted and redlined his wife's 650.

Loup was replacing his starter clutch and got the cam timing 180 out, knocking the piston into the valves hard-over.

I cant find the other thread, its not under Vstar bikes or engine issues or general bike talk. Last I remember he was going to take his wife's bike to a shop and have them give him an estimate on the damage.
Yes, you are right. Thanks for catching that. I didn't go back to beginning of thread. Teaches me not to rely on my memory. 😀. But the valve clearance concern is still valid with shaving head and higher lift cam, really have to watch redline, especially if using stock springs.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Thanks, that is what I was hoping to get, some suggestions and opinions. The more I look into it, I am thinking that milling the heads would not give me all that much in the way of increased compression and horsepower anyway.
lesblank likes this.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Job is complete and the test ride was a success. With the Dyna 3000 the bike seems to start much faster, the cams are aparent in the sound of the exhaust and the power increase from both is very noticable. I rejetted the carbs based on the Wiki page sugggestion and once again they were spot on. I am glad that I made the upgrades, it made the whole process of changing the valves a lot better.

The engine is heavy, without a floor jack and an engine lift I could not have done it by myself.

At one time I was thinking of buying a newer bike, one with fuel injection and possibly ABS, but I have decided to keep this bike. I have a ton of "me" in this bike, with a lot of mods, customizing and memories of the trips made, I just can't let it go. I will soon be painting the bike, another first for me, and when I am done I will post the pictures.

Thanks for the input,
LoupGarou
Keith Post, lesblank and KCW like this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 08:08 AM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoupGarou View Post
...I have a ton of "me" in this bike...
when you are working on any machine and you hurt yourself, you must wipe your blood on the machine, for the offering to be accepted.

If you dont, you will have to do it all over again...

My DNA is all over all of my vehicles.

I picked up a couple 1500 cc air cooled VW engines by myself about 40 years ago.

yes, an 1100 cc engine IS heavy.
Keith Post likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 11-08-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode