A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do

Ok, after replacing the starter clutch and getting the timing 180 out, I now have a bent valve and need to pull the engine.

I decided to take lemons and make lemon aide.

I am going to hop it up some, but not crazy, I am thinking about Metric Magic's 440 cams and milling about .035" off the heads. I already have pods, have removed the baffles and rejetted the carbs.

All sugestions and opinions are welcome.

2005 V Star 1100 Classic, Mustang seats, Baron ORK, risers and Star handlebar, AIS removed, muffler baffles removed, run/turn/brake light controller, modulating headlight, pods installed in air box, progressive front springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 04:32 PM

Garage
Well, that sucks, but at least you're making the best of it. Good luck with the mods and please keep us informed on your progress.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 06:44 PM

Garage
I was nervous as all get out when swapping out the starter clutch and can easily see how it happened. Definitely never a good thing to hear. My Veronica is set up like yours (pre-op at least) and I would say she runs more like a 1300, so I am interested in hearing how well the oversize and cam set up works for you. Good luck and looking forward to good results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 06:48 PM

Garage
As everyone else has said, bummer. Definitely keep us informed and pictures of the build in progress would be great.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Yea, I was pretty bummed about it, still am really. I tried to follow the recomendations but it got away from me. I totally know how to avoid it now, and how to be certain that the timing is corect, LOL.

I have someone coming over this week with a leak down tester and we will be able to verify that the valve is bent. Once we do the test I will order the parts and start the disassembly.

I will take pictures and might try a you tube video, I am not good at making videos but I will give it a go.

2005 V Star 1100 Classic, Mustang seats, Baron ORK, risers and Star handlebar, AIS removed, muffler baffles removed, run/turn/brake light controller, modulating headlight, pods installed in air box, progressive front springs.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 12:11 PM
KCW

Garage
Im at a loss how doing anything with the starter would mess up the valve timing?

do you have to take off one of the timing chains to replace the starter clutch?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

You have to remove the flywheel to install the new starter clutch and in the process I turned the crankshaft.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 05:16 PM

Garage
I had a machinist help me replace mine. I totally would be in your boat. Sorry man. I bet that lemonade will taste real sweet!!!!!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 06:11 PM

Garage
Yeah, the 1100 is nerve wracking to do the starter clutch on. It's not so much a clutch, but a 1 way bearing that the starter gear engages. There are about half a dozen marks that you have to line up and keep lined up with the crankcase cover on, with it off, and on both sides of the bike at the cylinder head. Add to that you have to keep the flywheel in place while breaking loose the nut on it...of course Yamahama has a special tool just for that haha. So I definitely feel for you Lou. I think some of the instructions I came across countered what the tech manual said about where to line up certain tick marks...so that didn't help any and now I can't remember which set was correct haha.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

I followed the tick marks in the Clymer's manual, where it showed the flywheel lining up with a single mark on the lower cam gear, that is wrong, it lines up with the double mark.

If anyone else has a Clymer's, I would love to know if there book shows the same thing. I figure that at some point Yamaha did have a gear that lined up like what was shown and the part was later changed and the book was not updated, but that is just a guess.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode