Bad !!!! Loud engine Sound - Page 2 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post

I sleep better at night doing my own wrenching on my bikes and cars.

Isnít that the truth !
I never ever let anyone touch my bikes ... and when I get a bike even if everything is good and has service records... I reset everything do valve,oil, brakes etc etc so I know what I have going on at all times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
KCW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 10:08 PM
KCW

Garage
A motorcycle is different from a car - a motorbike has to be 100% all the time, or you stand a good chance a serious accident.

If your engine bogs while you are pulling out into traffic, its not a dented door panel...

let us know how this works out for you, if you get a drop in engine replacement.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
A motorcycle is different from a car - a motorbike has to be 100% all the time, or you stand a good chance a serious accident.

If your engine bogs while you are pulling out into traffic, its not a dented door panel...

let us know how this works out for you, if you get a drop in engine replacement.

Iíll get to check a couple more things tomorrow as per you guysí advice.
I also just found a guy selling a full bike for parts with a running engine about 2 hours from me ... itís a much better deal than he ones i can get on eBay... well, same price but Iíll have loads of parts for future projects

KCW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 07:58 AM
KCW

Garage
Driving in this morning (in 3 inches of snow) I realized: the previous owner cannot blame the mechanic for not putting the proper amount of oil in his bike, and the engine being oil starved as a result.

Because a motorcycle normally has no low oil pressure or low oil level light, you HAVE TO check your oil level every morning before you start the bike. Its 100% on the rider to TCLOCK inspect your ride before you start it up every day, for all the reasons we already discussed.

It only takes a moment to reach down with a small mirror and check the oil level in a 650 (and most Vstar bikes) with the nice little sight-glass on the side of the engine case.

So I have to say for the previous owner: mechanic made a mistake, but the owner wrecked the engine.

There are several ways a MC engine can lose all its oil, and you wont always see a 3 quart puddle under the bike when it happens.
graybeard likes this.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 08:12 AM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
.....Iíll have loads of parts for future projects

Dibs on the mirrors! :^)

I just got my Royal Star in september, the original owner took off the stock mirrors an put smaller aftermarket mirrors on the bike that have a wavy & wide angle view of whats behind you.

The first rule of modding a bike is the stuff you put on it should be at least AS GOOD as the factory parts.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

I agree on your mods rule ! I hate when I see bikes modified with low quality parts.
Couldnít pick up the parts bike before heading out of town for the holiday
Hopefully it will be there when back

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 04:20 PM

Had the exact same sound from my Vstar 650 this summer. Turns out it had an oil leak that on a long road trip eventually starved the front cylinder of oil. Took the engine out and the heads off, turns out to be the plane bearings for the front cylinder. Now in the process of splitting it. Hopefully the crank isnt scored or the rods out of spec. Theyre pretty pricy!

1999 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 05:02 PM
KCW

Garage
whats a plane bearing?

sometimes you get lucky, if the oil pump starts sucking air or froth its the cam bearings in the top of the engine that get oil starved first, or if you get gas in the oil and it gets really thin, it can supply oil to the main bearings on the crank, but does not have enough pressure to reach the cams.

but usually by the time you hear something knocking, all your bearings are gone, including the transmission

with no oil pressure zero warning light on most of these bikes, you really do have to check the level every morning. Thats why they made it so easy with the sight glass - just need a little mirror on your keychain.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 08:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
It only takes a moment to reach down with a small mirror and check the oil level in a 650 (and most Vstar bikes) with the nice little sight-glass on the side of the engine case.
I thought that sight check for oil level on the 650 was so cool. The coolest thing on the bike. Was a little disappointed that the 950 didn't have it.

Also correct that it might be the mechanic's fault, but the owner should have double checked the oil level. Underfill, overfill, no drain plug, forgot to screw the fill plug/dipstick back in, ... there's no end of ways to screw up something simple.

Example, years ago after a well known oil change place changed oil in my truck I found a wrench lying on my battery this frickin' close to shorting hot terminal to body. That would have been interesting as it bounced around. I want to see new oil at the right level. And that I have a dipstick and a fill cap, .... I get inspections and oil changes on family cars at one place. He seems happy that I double check his people.
KCW likes this.

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 09:02 AM
KCW

Garage
From several bad experiences having someone else change the oil in my vehicles, the one thing I always do is change my own oil and filter.

To say if backwards, if you want to destroy an engine, mess up the oil. It only takes a few miles to completely destroy an engine with no oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode