Bad !!!! Loud engine Sound - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Bad !!!! Loud engine Sound

Got this Vstar 650 it has some big problems
I adjusted the valves to see if it would go away but no luck
https://youtu.be/feZyPeiBtN4

Last edited by Maustarman; 11-13-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 06:49 PM

Garage
Timing Chain slapping? I really know very little about engines, by the way.

Since I got a bike, I feel much better.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 07:07 PM

Garage
Sounds valve area. The sound is a solid hit, like valve slapping close. I would double check valve adjustment. Then a compression test. Sounds one tap per engine revolution is why I think it's valve related. Could be stuck valve. Good luck and keep us informed.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Bad !!!! Loud engine Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
Sounds valve area. The sound is a solid hit, like valve slapping close. I would double check valve adjustment. Then a compression test. Sounds one tap per engine revolution is why I think it's valve related. Could be stuck valve. Good luck and keep us informed.

I agree... it is one tap per revolution.
I double checked valves ... itís not there
When you are close to it it sounds exactly as if the sound coming from where the cylinder is attached to the bottom end...
It makes me think itís part 12 or 16 in this picture

Last edited by Maustarman; 11-13-2018 at 07:30 PM.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 07:38 PM
KCW

Garage
was it making the sound when you got the bike?

I went to see a 650 with only a few thousand miles on it this summer, the owner said it had a 'clicking' noise in the front cylinder.

Long story short, he drove it home about 30 miles on the highway with no oil in the crankcase. It had an oil leak and he wasnt keeping up with it - it started tapping 30 miles away, and he just drove it. The next day he drained the oil and only a half a quart came out.

If the bike has been oil starved then all the bearings are questionable, including the transmission.

I told the guy not to bother starting the bike, I heard all I needed to know from what he told me.

Do you have any info on the bike?

It could also be a bent valve. When you check the clearance did they need adjusting at all? I would expect a bent valve would not close all the way, therefor the clearance would be well out of spec (sloppy loose).

If the bike was being run near red line, in 4th gear for example, and was then shifted down to 3rd it would mechanically red line the engine, and the first thing to fail is usually the valves cannot get retracted by the springs fast enough, and the piston hits the valves. Since they are at an angle to the piston, they get bent.

Like Les said, a compression test will tell you if you have a bent valve. It wont seat correctly and the compression will be low.

A bent valve is easier to fix than a bike that was oil starved and spun one or more bearings.

Last edited by KCW; 11-13-2018 at 07:45 PM.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
was it making the sound when you got the bike?

Do you have any info on the bike?
You are hitting it right in the head !
I picked up the bike last night .
Similar history as yours
Guy said he was riding and a nick clunk came up and engine died.
Started it again a drove it 2 miles and sound was bad so he called a tow truck.
Towed to same mechanic he used for oil changes etc.
Bike has 12k miles.. flawless looking bike.
Mechanic told him it was a Rod nock and quoted $2K plus parts to fix.

Today I adjusted the valves and check compression... 165psi in both cylinders.
Checked the oil and had only 22oz in there thatís like 1/4 of what it should have. So, it was definitely oil starved.

Iím planning to order an engine from eBay and swap it. Have done it many times before.
- - - - - - - - - -
I just heard back from previews owner - he is livid because he paid that mechanic for an oil change 40 miles before the big clunk.
He canít believe it there was no oil ...
He even has receipts
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 08:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maustarman View Post
I agree... it is one tap per revolution.
I double checked valves ... itís not there
When you are close to it it sounds exactly as if the sound coming from where the cylinder is attached to the bottom end...
It makes me think itís part 12 or 16 in this picture
A rod bearing knock is normally a deeper sound, like tapping a hammer on a solid metal. Take a stethoscope and determine exactly where the noise it coming from. Another area to check would be timing chain tensioner area. I've heard simular sounds from timing chain master link with loose side plate hitting engine case.
Maustarman likes this.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 08:36 PM

Garage
That does not sound like a rod bearing, they make a definate knock sound . That is more of a tick tick, which would indicate valve, rocker arm, cam bearing ,cam chain sort of thing from the top end.
No stethoscope handy,, then use a screwdriver handle pressed to your ear.
lesblank likes this.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 09:52 PM
KCW

Garage
the 22 ounces of oil is a possible cause of engine failure. Its suppose to have 4 quarts, and that is just 0.68 quarts.

The only other question: is the bike leaking oil now, did something go thru the crankcase and leak out almost 3 quarts of oil, then it stopped when it reached the bottom of the damage to the case?

If you have already decided to replace the engine its a mute point for you, but the previous owner: yes I would be upset if the guy got distracted while changing the oil and only put 1 quart in the engine.

Its also possible the previous owner dropped the bike and damaged the crankcase, hit something and cracked it open, or he red-lined the engine by down shifting at hi rpms, someone else borrowed the bike and messed it up...

but it all comes back to the oil level - if you cant find any reason why the oil leaked out down to one quart, then that was the cause of the engine failure.

I see Vstar 650 bikes for sale with less than 10k miles on them for less than $1500, sometimes less than $1k. People park them for a couple years, the carbs are full of goo, the tires are dry rotted, the battery is dead and the tank is full of rust, but as long as the engine was in good shape when the bike was parked you can put your carbs on the engine and it should run perfectly.

The only thing you have to watch for: in the early 2000's the bike got a cat converter added to the exhaust, and I think a throttle position sensor added to the carbs - so the carbs, ECU and the exhaust are different across one model year boundary. I dont remember which year exactly. Other than that all the 650 engines are the same. I think if you just change the block and heads out, and keep the carbs and intake and exhaust and ECU from your bike you should be good.

Last edited by KCW; 11-14-2018 at 07:51 AM.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 09:57 PM
KCW

Garage
BTW, this is one reason why I do as much mechanical work on all my vehicles as I can. All it takes is for a mechanic to make a simple mistake, and your engine is destroyed. Whether or not you can get someone else to replace your engine because they screwed up an oil change is questionable.

And if they did own-up to the mistake, do you want that guy replacing your engine?

I sleep better at night doing my own wrenching on my bikes and cars.
haileymon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode