Carbs leaking @ thottle plate shaft - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By lesblank
  • 1 Post By Diogenes415

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Carbs leaking @ thottle plate shaft

As the title says. I discovered the leak while cleaning the carbs. I've been having lean issues about 1/4 throttle and think I've found the problem. After spraying the throttle plate with carb cleaner, I dried it with compressed air and had a lot of bubbles coming through the shaft on the outside.
I can't find the seals though. The exploded parts diagram does not show the shafts and plates removed and I can't get a part number. The yamaha dealer near me couldn't find any seals. I've been told to replace the carbs unfortunately. Is this true or do I have other options? I tried to pull one of the shafts to check out the seals, and getting the plate out unharmed seems like a bear.

2003 Yamaha vstar 650 custom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 06:21 PM
KCW

Garage
are you saying the carbs are blowing air OUT thru the butterfly plate shaft?

The carbs should never be under pressure, always under a vacuum when the bike is running.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 08:14 PM

Think he meant that the carb cleaner was blowing out, when using the compressed air to dry it.
You shouldn't need ot use compressed air to dry it if your using carb cleaner.
Most I do is papertowel to cleanup any gas the carb cleaner ethonal crap.

Otherwise, I don't really understand what is bubbling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 08:16 PM

Garage
Carburetor throttle shafts do not have seals. They have a bushing normally of brass which is pressed in. There is always a small amount of air that enters thru the shaft bushing. It's not enough to matter, unless really, really worn. Any air entering does not affect anything, it's that small of an amount. Here an example.

KCW and Diogenes415 like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 08:15 AM

If there isn't any play at the shaft then there's nothing to be concerned about because, as lesblank mentioned, any air that might leak past the shaft during operation is minuscule at best. Incidentally I've never seen shafts worn badly enough to have play in them... even with carbs from junkyard bikes that had severe rust on all linkages.
lesblank likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
There is a decent amount of play in the shaft. I took the bushings out, they are plastic and shaped like a common crankshaft or fork seal. I could almost measure the gap between shaft and seal. How much is too much? It seems like a very large quantity of air passing. Practically foaming, not a couple micro bubbles. I can’t accelerate above quarter throttle without the choke. I have a thread about in the vstar forum. I was hoping I found my problem. Can I use orings to replace my seals? I haven’t leak checked the other one yet. I wonder if I should just buy a used set of carbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode