Carb cleaning - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Carb cleaning

Just bought a 03 1100 Silverado .. Bike ran last spring, won't stay cranked now, I am pretty sure I just need to get the bowls off and clean the needle valve... Anything else I should look for...
This is after I get a battery on it...I don't even know how many miles is on it, Bought it from a girl at work for $1000.00 ... Battery has zero juice so I am waiting for my new battery to come in today from Battery Mart... Will hook it up...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vstar2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	83004   Click image for larger version

Name:	vstar1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	83006  

BE WHO YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:07 AM
KCW

Garage
Before you crank it over look inside the gas tank. One of the good things about 10% ethanol gas is it starts turning brown pretty quickly (within months) if it was not stabilized before the bike was stored. So you can just look at it with a flash light and see if its gone bad.

If the gas in not clear drain it out and flush the fuel lines. Also if the tank is empty look for rust.

The most common problem with carb'd bikes that were parked for a long time is someone starts them up with the old gas, thinking running it just a little bit wont make it any worse, and sucks the jello and goo from the bottom of the tank into the carbs. Then you need to take them apart and clean every port and passage.

If you drain the old fuel out of the tank and fuel lines, and put Seafoam or another carb cleaner in with the fresh gas, you can at least start the bike up and see how it runs, and you wont make it any worse. Sometimes thats all you need, and after running a full tank with Seafoam the bike will run fine.

The most important thing to watch out for if you do this: when you turn the key on and energize the fuel pump (these carb'd bikes do have a fuel pump) check the overflow tube to make sure you dont have a float stuck open overflowing the carb. Its easy to see, it will spew gas all over the top of the engine case (I think on the right side on an 1100).
CanadianMohawk likes this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Thank you KCW as in my intro post...I appreciate the insight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:30 AM

Garage
We need to start a drinking game here. Take a drink every time KCW types Seafoam lol. JK, of course. It's a great product and KCW knows his stuff.
CanadianMohawk likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRider View Post
We need to start a drinking game here. Take a drink every time KCW types Seafoam lol. JK, of course. It's a great product and KCW knows his stuff.
Drink??? OK, im in... Top Shelf Bourbon or Tequila anyone?
KCW and CanadianMohawk like this.

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:59 AM
KCW

Garage
Dont drink the SeaFoam, it will not clear your head like it clears your carbs.

I just finish a bottle of 1792 bourbon in June, and a few days later their storage warehouse collapsed, and most their barrels of whiskey were destroyed.

I ran out and bought another bottle the next day, figuring that might be the end of the company.

It is a pretty common problem for people up north that only ride half a year. A lot of people park their bike thinking the season is not over, the snow sets in, and... next spring the gas tank is full of jello at the bottom. $2 worth the Seafoam will avoid a $300 carb cleaning.

Last edited by KCW; 12-12-2018 at 11:02 AM.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

No winterizing here in Eastern NC... I rode this past weekend in a Toys for tots...it was a bit chilly but tolerable.

I just bought a bottle of Col. EH Taylor small batch... Pricey but good... 1792 is good, I've had it a few times...
KCW likes this.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Well I got the tank off and rinsed out, it was nasty... shot seafoam in the system with a 60 cc syringe, re installed, installed new battery, cranks but won’t stay cranked...smoked like a mother...won’t run very long, will leave the fresh gas with sea foam in it for a few days while I have the wheels off... those cobra pipes are way loud... might look at trading or finding something quieter...any suggestions appreciated...

Last edited by Notgrownup; 12-16-2018 at 02:29 PM.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 02:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notgrownup View Post
those cobra pipes are way loud... might look at trading or finding something quieter...any suggestions appreciated...
Ear plugs? 😂🙉🙉

Here's a pretty good thread talking about making Cobra pipes a little quieter.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...uestion-2.html

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 04:19 PM
KCW

Garage
smoke is blue from burning oil or did it have that old car rich gas smell?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode