2003 vstar 1100 starts and idles, but dies when throttle is applied - Page 3 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, took a little break over the holidays, now im back. Here are photos of the plugs immediately after the bike dies. Don't know if it means anything, probably not, but trying to mention everything I notice, the front cylinder actually had exhaust smoke coming out when I removed the plug, the rear cylinder did not. The rear cylinder plug was wetter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190106_120703_1546805291742.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	83156   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190106_120652_1546805332321.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	83158   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190106_120213_1546805381007.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	83160   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190106_120208_1546805408036.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	83162  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 03:16 PM

rich and fuel soaked. the plugs should be almost white, ethinol burns very clean. when i did pods my plugs were white and i got worried so i backed the pms screws out a little at a time till the plugs showed a little tan. use regular gas 87 or 89. what size jets did you put in. pilot is 17.5 stock and mains are 12.5 and 15.0 the pms screws should be 2 turns out. do you have stock intake and exhaust.
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

All jets are new and stock sizes. Pilots are 17.5, mains are 110 and 112.5. I believe I set the PMS screws at 2 1/2 turns out, I can certainly reset them to 2 turns. Everything is stock accept for cobra exhaust pipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 05:01 PM

Garage
Yes, very rich. How long did it run? Was choke open when it was running? Definitely close PMS screws down to 2 turns out. Are those BPR7ES (5534) plugs?, that's the stock plug and the correct heat range.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Yep they are stock plugs,NGK BPR7ES. I will turn the screws to 2 turns out and see what that does. As far as the choke goes, that was with no choke on. It's inside at about 65 degrees so no need to use choke.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedenspeed View Post
All jets are new and stock sizes. Pilots are 17.5, mains are 110 and 112.5. I believe I set the PMS screws at 2 1/2 turns out, I can certainly reset them to 2 turns. Everything is stock accept for cobra exhaust pipes.
with the cobra pipes you can put 115 in both the mains. 2 to 2.5 turns is fine. there should be one shim on the needle. your setup is good there is something else wrong. definitely rich in both carbs. if it was jetted before you got it, it may have dynojet needles.
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 06:43 PM
KCW

Garage
something else must be off, could the floats be adjusted too high and flooding the jets

or the choke is somehow stuck on

or you are missing a part somewhere in the carbs and its flooding thru the jets.
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

I thought of the floats as well and checked them using the tube method out of the service manual, I'm not used to doing it that way, I've always measured from the bowl surface. Anyways, the level was good. As far as something missing, it's certainly a possibility. I don't know what it could be, I've looked at the parts breakdown quite a bit because while rebuilding them, I had a couple of mysterious parts left over. One was a small aluminum piece, which was the main nozzle, which I've never seen them fall out before, and I only had one so I had to order one for the second carb. The other mysteries piece was a copper ring, which I had 2 of those and I guessed that fit around the main nozzle, it was the perfect size. Some parts diagrams didn't even show the main nozzles and it isn't shown in the service manual, but I did finally find it, however, I don't think I ever found the copper rings.

So all that being said, it certainly is possible, something is missing or wrong, I just don't know what it could be.

I also talked to the owner saturday, told him all that was going on so far, he mentioned that when this happened, it seemed like the exhaust sounded louder before this happened, so now im wondering if the exhaust might be plugged?
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 07:43 AM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedenspeed View Post
... The other mysteries piece was a copper ring, which I had 2 of those and I guessed that fit around the main nozzle, it was the perfect size....
My son has a habit of taking things off his car engine, when he doesnt know what they are, and he tells me "that doesnt do anything". Then he complains the car in not running right.

Some engineer spent months designing the part, and GM spent good money to make it and put it on his engine.

If you had parts left over after taking the carbs apart I think that is the likely cause of the flooding. There was another guy here a few months ago who rebuilt his carbs and something like a small cylinder fell out, and he didnt put it back in. His front cylinder was flooding too - he figured out where that part goes and it fixed his bike.

Im assuming the copper rings came out of the carbs, or were they in the rebuild kit? It sounds like a seal or a spacer. If the main jets or TMS screws... are not sealing on one side, the gas will just flood thru.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Sorry KCW, I didn't clearly explain myself. When I rebuilt the carbs and had them back together U found those parts, once I discovered what they were, I disassembled the carbs again and put them back in. However, that got me to thinking about the copper rings. I did put them in, but I just looked at the parts breakdown again on bikebandit and it shows the nozzle, but not the cipper ring. I think I will take the carbs off again and pull them apart, take pics of the rings and see if anyone can identify them. Maybe they are in the wrong spot. They aren't from the kit, they came out of the carb somewhere. I will do that tonight when I get home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode