2003 vstar 1100 starts and idles, but dies when throttle is applied - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

2003 vstar 1100 starts and idles, but dies when throttle is applied

This should be an easy fix, but it's got me pulling my hair out (what's left of it) The bike is a friend of mines and I told him I would be happy to work on it for him. The story behind it is this, he was selling it after buying a new bike. So he went to fill the tank when someone called to come look at it and on the way, apparently he heard a pop(I'm guessing it backfired) add he was going up a hill, and then he lost all power. After getting the bike to my house, and looking into to it some, he didn't lose electrical power, the bike just bogs down when you twist the throttle.

I figured it was a definite carb issue, so I ordered some kits, removed the carbs, tore em down, soaked them, blew out all ports an ran carb cleaner through each one and reassembled them. After reinstalling, I still have the same symptom. I have removed the carbs 3 times now to make sure I didn't miss a port or something and have yet to fix it. I decided to go a different route and check everything that out U could think of. I installed new plugs, even after checking to make sure that both cylinders were firing and getting hot. Installed a new fuel filter and tried a different pump to make sure it wasn't a fuel pressure issue. Nothing has seemed to work.

After stepping back, scratching my head (reading a ton of forum posts) and thinking about it a little more, the issue happened after he was already riding and came on instantly. If it would have been dirty carbs, I would think it would have happened when he started it up, not while out riding. So I really do think it's not the carbs anymore, but maybe ECM related? What do you think? Anything else I might be missing here or not thinking about?

I hope to get this bike back on the road for him before spring!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:25 PM

Garage
A few things to check:
Fuel filter, replace, it's cheap. Something similar to this works fine.

Pilot jets, there are small holes on side of jets that must be open.

Either one will cause issues like you are having. The pop could have been a lean condition. The bike will idle with just the smallest amount of fuel being supplied. It's not uncommon for these issues to be quick to manifest. Could be some water in fuel. How long did bike sit? Keep us informed.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home

Last edited by lesblank; 12-14-2018 at 01:29 PM.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Yep, thought I mentioned it, I did replace the fuel filter before testing the fuel pump. As far as pilots, when rebuilding the carbs, all jets were replaced, not just cleaned. Doesn't mean that there isn't something spok in the circuit, that's why that was my first guess, and the reason for checking it 3 times so far. The bike actually didn't sit for a period of time, it was his first bike that he put some miles on and then decided on purchasing a street glide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:43 PM

Garage
You did mention fuel filter, I just missed that part. Possibly the backfire blew the sync port caps off causing a very lean condition. If it were mine I would carefully spray some brake cleaner around carb area. If idle increases you have a vacuum leak. Another Carb test, spray carb cleaner / brake cleaner into intake with air filter off. Does it rev more than it did? If it does the carbs still need some work. There are many ways to complete the testing I suggested, but they work if safely done.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:47 PM

Garage
Another thing that happened to me once. The hose going to the carbs had collapsed internally. it was letting enough fuel thru to idle but not enough to supply during acceleration.

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:52 PM

Garage
KCW, going to steal one of your normal suggestions 😀, replace air filter if not white. These bikes do not like dirty air filter. Many have solved simular issues with just a new air filter.

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 02:02 PM

Garage
Quick question, was pilot jets replaced also or just mains? You said you bought "kit". It's uncommon for pilot jets to be included in "kits". Sample of most kits, no pilot jets included.

Last edited by lesblank; 12-14-2018 at 02:06 PM.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Great suggestions, will certainly work on it this weekend. Yes both the main and the pilot jets in both carbs were replaced. I did not replace the air filter yet, it does look clean, but that can be deceiving so I will do that as well.
lesblank likes this.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 04:05 PM
KCW

Garage
he was riding, the bike went pop and now its not right

ditto vacuum leak

check the compression

make sure the air intake box is not split open

check the position sensor on the carbs, it tells the ECM how much to advance the timing
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

I did check compression and it checked good, I also did an ohm check on the TPS and it checked good as well. I will be checking for vacuum leaks tomorrow. I've checked all hoses previously for cracks and attachments and didn't see anything obvious, but I will check with carb cleaner while running, see if that shows anything. Thanks again for all the advice.
lesblank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode