Rear Cylinder Oil Burning - Page 2 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 02:27 PM
KCW

Garage
9000 miles on a 15 year old bike...

I would not suspect rings, valve seals, exhaust gaskets, head gasket on that bike

but o rings dry out and leak over time. In the video that does look like exhaust blowing out of the exhaust gasket though, not just smoke rising on its own...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
One more post today before guests arrive. My rear plug pictures. Looks a little oily. I tightened the rear exhaust, and checked the tappit bolts. Everything is tight. I saw oil on the bottom bolt on the exhaust bolt. Road it again and once it warms up it starts smoking. definitely smells like burning oil. I'm not having good thoughts about this...

Since I got a bike, I feel much better.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 05:49 PM

Garage
Run a compression test. Here's a good article :
https://www.howtomotorcyclerepair.co...pression-test/

That will answer if rings are good or possibly valve issue. Oil could also be leaking past the valve guides, no easy test for that.

If it was mine, if tappet cover is leaking replace the oring. Clean everything really, really good. Check if exhaust gasket is good, replace if needed. Install new plugs, some of the color could be from working on carbs. Go for a ride until engine is at full operating temperature. Cut bike off as soon as you get home. Idle the least amount you can before killing the engine. Pull plug as soon as things cool down a bit. How does it look? How does it smell? Post pictures. I'm trying to see if it's a major rich running issue. You stated before you make the rear cylinder rich to eliminate backfire. Sometimes it hard to determine rich fouling verses oil fouling. Keep us informed.

Rich foul

Oil foul

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 05:59 PM

Garage
Just reread you post again. You said it stated smoking after it warmed up. If you were burning oil in combustion chamber it would smoke the second you started it. If it's smoking after it gets hot you are most likely burning the oil that has leaked from tappet cover, past exhaust gasket, into exhaust pipe. It will burn once exhaust gets hot enough. Just trying to think it out, it's hard sometimes when you can't see it.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:40 PM

Garage
make sure the crankcase breather is clear, from the air box to the baffle at the rear cylinder head.
lesblank and tbzg like this.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 07:19 PM
KCW

Garage
There's been a lot of new members here since you joined in September, Ive lost track of the history of your 650 (unless I go back and search all the threads you posted to)

How much have you rode the bike since you got it? The video shows only the rear muffler spewing smoke, and the smoke at the head connection continues after you stop the engine.

So there is either oil or gas in the muffler, and oil on the head connection point burning off.

Have you recently worked on the exhaust, maybe spraying PB blaster on the studs and nuts to take it off or torque it down?

If this is the first good long ride you have been able to put on the bike yourself, I wonder if the rear cylinder could have been running rich before, or if oil got into the exhaust some other way.

Another thing to check out, make sure the choke on the bike has not gone wonky on the rear carb, keeping it choked while you are riding.

Time for some good news: if your rear cylinder tappet cover is leaking oil and causing all this, it is the only one of the 4 tappet covers you can get off without taking the carbs off the bike. You will have to remove the tool compartment plastic cover, and maybe the battery compartment cover, but you can get a 10mm box or open end wrench on both bolts, take the tappet cover off and replace that one Oring.

Dont go nuts torquing it back down, its an o-ring so its either going to seal or its not, and then you will crush the tappet cover if you keep wrenching on it.

Last edited by KCW; 02-03-2019 at 07:24 PM.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 07:20 PM

there was a chart here yesterday that said the pms setting is 2.5 turns for stock intake.on my 1100 i had 22.5 pilots but i went down to 20.0 and it ran better would be big for a 650. your plugs are gas or oil fouled can't tell from the picture.
KCW likes this.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Going to stop by my local dealer and see if he has tappet gasket and exhaust gasket. I'll start there. I had the breather box off last week changing the pilots from 25's down to 22.5's (resynched also) so I'll also check the crankcase breather. With the 25's you almost didn't need a choke. Was trying different pilots to see if I could get rid of the decel pop and the backfire I was getting on rear cylinder when I increased throttle slowly (usually at 1/8th to 1/4 throttle).

This was the first extended ride at 55-60 Mph I have done on this bike. Most of the other rides were backroad 25-35 Mph with curves and shifting and some short runs at 55 at colder outside temps. Maybe a gasket or metal heated up and shifted with the 60+ degrees today and the longer higher speed ride.

Since I got a bike, I feel much better.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:37 PM
KCW

Garage
If the crankcase breather hose is not connected to the intake air box (popped off when the engine backfired?) it could be dripping oil anywhere on the top of the engine, depending on where the end landed.
tbzg likes this.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 04:29 AM

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ya...5as/carburetor according to this diagram part #11 your pilot is a #20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode