Rear Cylinder Oil Burning - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rear Cylinder Oil Burning

Beautiful day for February, so I take my 2004 V Star 650 Classic out. It has had a pop on decel on the rear cylinder, that I haven't been able to get rid of but it's been running pretty good. I have a stock air filter and cobra slash cuts. My pilots are 22.5, mains 100, 3.5 turns out on PMS, pin on #4 (close to taper).
Since it was nice (50+) I took it out and ran it on a two lane for about two hours total at about 55-60 Mph. I could hear a "blip" sound every now and then when at 3/4+ throttle, but not consistent. I pulled back in after a few hours to the garage and I notice white smoke from the rear exhaust (upper) and from the exhaust connection.

Below YouTube video is what I have now.

Any ideas on where to start?

https://youtu.be/C02YFIBsYvA

Since I got a bike, I feel much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:46 PM

Garage
Look just above rear exhaust pipe. There is a cover held on with 4 screws. This is the cover you take off to adjust valve clearance. There is an oring that will leak. Very common. Here's a thread about replacing.
https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...-guy-here.html

Look to see if you oil residue simular to this.

Keep us posted.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 02:00 PM
KCW

Garage
a tappet cover leak might explain a bit of smoke coming off the head exhaust port area, but not the smoke coming out the tail pipe.

How many miles are on the bike?

Did you have the bike hanging upside down all winter like the photo in your garage? (Sorry, could not resist)

I would not expect the rings or valves to be leaking oil into the combustion chamber until you were getting close to 100k miles on the odo. Maybe a head gasket leak?

Last edited by KCW; 02-03-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, I'll check that out first. I did see a oil spot on the black casing (near the serial stamp) below the exhaust pipe connection. One other question, When I did my oil change and filter, it called for 2.96 qt., I probably put 3 in it- overfill wouldn't be an issue would it?
KCW likes this.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 02:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
a tappet cover leak might explain a bit of smoke coming off the head exhaust area, but not the smoke coming out the tail pipe.
If the exhaust gasket is not sealing 100% the oil will weep in and burn thru exhaust, I've seen it several times. Would be first place I would check. Also it was mentioned exhaust pop, a leaky exhaust gasket will cause a lean pop.
KCW and Deeksvstarclassic like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 02:06 PM
KCW

Garage
3 qts is perfect with a new filter

Im wondering if the rear cylinder could be flooding or running very rich for some reason (stuck float?)

pull the spark plug and see what it tells you
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
9200+- miles on the bike. Didn't notice that "Upside down thing" I see if I can get that upright for sure.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 02:09 PM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
If the exhaust gasket is not sealing 100% the oil will weep in and burn thru exhaust, ... Would be first place I would check. ....
did not think of a weepy tappet cover getting oil into the exhaust port.

how would you check that, quickly hold a rag over the exhaust/muffler tail pipe while idling, and see if exhaust is coming off the connection between the exhaust pipe and the head?

check that both nuts and studs are there on the head too...

Last edited by KCW; 02-03-2019 at 02:12 PM.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 02:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
did not think of a weepy tappet cover getting oil into the exhaust port.

how would you check that, quickly hold a rag over the exhaust/muffler tail pipe while idling, and see if exhaust is coming off the connection between the exhaust pipe and the head?

check that both nuts and studs are there on the head too...
You can normally here a slight puff, puff sound at the header pipe. I've got an automotive stethoscope I use to trace sounds, hearing ain't as good as it used to be. Sometimes the leak is so small you really don't here it. But oil will weep into the smallest openings. I second the recommendation to check tightness of nuts.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok, I've got a few hours before I have to be back for the ball game, I'm going back out to the warehouse and check tightness of exhaust, and tappet. I'll pull the rear plug while I'm out and see what it looks like. I'll let you know what I find.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode