Carburetor leaking from tube - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Notgrownup
  • 1 Post By nick57
  • 1 Post By Notgrownup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Carburetor leaking from tube

2003 Vstar 1100, got the carbs cleaned, cleaned the tank, new petcock... when I cranked it, it ran but then stalled, bunch of fuel on the floor, it’s leaking from the little tube, I circled it, 5he picture is taken from the left side of the bike in between the cylinders. I can see where there is any tubes left to attach to this... I wonder if it some kind of overflow of some kind.
Anybody have any idea why this would happen or what this tube is?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F04093C2-1D8D-4206-A648-5898EEA41991.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	84052  

BE WHO YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE

Last edited by Notgrownup; 05-04-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

I have an appointment at the local dealership Ron Ayers Motorsport on May 17th,,, I am going to let them make it right for my wife to ride...thanks for looking...I think I might have a stuck float...I thought y’all smart asses, oops i meant Smart guys would be of more help...lol
lesblank likes this.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 02:00 PM

Garage
I'm not good at carb diagnostics but your theory about a stuck float makes sense to me. Anyone else have a better idea?

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 02:15 PM

it could be a stuck float or the float needle valve could have dirt sticking it open then a new needle valve might be in order... then if the float comes unstuck it might be good to go. no ploblemo. carb cleaning sounds like a good idea
lesblank likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:30 PM
KCW

Garage
isnt there also an adjustment on the float height, if its too far off it overflows?

when you said you got the carbs cleaned, its not clear if you mean you 'got er done' or had someone else do it

if that is the overflow tube port the tube should be running down to the side of the crankcase - if there is nothing there you need it replaced

having your float stick and the carbs overflow is bad enough, without having the gas land on your pants and the hot cylinders

Last edited by KCW; 05-04-2019 at 08:28 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Carbs have been cleaned by myself, new float needle valve installed...I am sure I missed something....I will let the dealership check it out before I let Mrs Notgrownup drive it...
KCW likes this.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:42 AM
KCW

Garage
taking the carbs apart to clean them is both tedious and error prone

if you take a photo at every step, and make a drawing of where each part goes, and carefully put the parts where they wont get bumped or disturbed if the job gets interrupted for a few days, then its just wrenching and phillips screws

There have been a lot of people that jumped into it, had a part fall out and they did not know where to put it back (so they left it out) or got things put back in out of sequence

the exploded bike drawings at bikebandit are helpful - goto their home page, select OEM parts, then Yamaha, pick your bike model and year, then on the left side of the screen you can pick OEM parts, the section of the bike you are working on, and it will show the carbs (for example) completely exploded apart, with each little washer and screw and jet numbered and named and with a price if they sell them.

It also shows the price for an entire new carb (hope you are sitting down) which makes you feel pretty good about fixing yours instead of buying two new ones!

A few people have been able to figure out where they went wrong just looking at those drawings. The problem with just taking a carb apart and cleaning it, and putting it all back together is that usually you are doing this because its not running right, and a previous owner may have put a part in the wrong place, or backwards, or a part falls out of the float bowl, and then you dont know what goes where.

Last edited by KCW; 05-05-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode