16K Valve Clearance Check & Adjustment - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By Highwayman
  • 1 Post By lesblank
  • 1 Post By Highwayman
  • 2 Post By Highwayman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
16K Valve Clearance Check & Adjustment

I'm at 16,200 miles. I broke the $800 news to my wife and got the ok to go ahead and will bring it in but I hate to sacrifice riding days. Is there some wiggle room? (Please don't suggest doing it myself. I've seen videos of the process and it's way beyond my wrench capability). Thanks.
CanadianMohawk and JonMaz2112 like this.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, hereís a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 07:17 PM
KCW

Garage
$800... really?

its an 8 to 10 hour job?!

I wouldnt fret about it if you go a few thousand miles past 16k.

Last edited by KCW; 06-01-2019 at 07:34 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:24 PM

Garage
That's definitely a chuck of change. The piece of mind will be worth it. Just tell the wife you are investing in her sanity because it gives you wind therapy. 😀
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys. Their book says it's a 6
hr. job. My wife is pretty awesome.
lesblank likes this.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, hereís a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
I'm at 16,200 miles. I broke the $800 news to my wife and got the ok to go ahead and will bring it in but I hate to sacrifice riding days. Is there some wiggle room? (Please don't suggest doing it myself. I've seen videos of the process and it's way beyond my wrench capability). Thanks.
Don’t know where you’re at but that’s HIGH!
My dealership even with the gaskets was only charging me $470. You’re TWICE that. Then again, my tech has done numerous valve adjustments in Raiders (almost same) and 2018’s. Probably doesn’t take him as long as somebody who’s trying to figure it out.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Just realized I was getting quoted for a full 16K service which includes plugs, oil and filter, transfer case oil, front wheel bearings etc. I've done all of that this spring so the actual valve clearance check will be about $300. That's fair. However the Raider has a history of fuel pump issues. I'm getting intermittent hesitating/brief drops in power. Apparently heat causes the housing to crack. You can buy the pump but not just the housing. They're going to inspect it Mon. If there is a pressure issue or crack that's another $500.
lesblank and KCW like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode