Possible Carb issues. - Page 2 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Milby View Post
KCW, i could give you a hug..

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 06:52 AM
KCW

Garage
:^)

once you get it running use the full choke only to get it started

then push it in about half way while you check your lights signals and mirrors, zipper up your jacket, and then ride off

about a mile down the road push it in all the way

normally on a hot day you will not need to use the choke again till the next morning

let the seafoam do its stuff now, and let us know how it works.
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:43 AM

Garage
Good stuff going on here.
You should check to see if you got too much gas in the oil from running a dead cylinder. KCW i give you a hug also. I would rather owe it to you than cheat you out of it.
lesblank and KCW like this.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:02 AM
KCW

Garage
Chris didnt say where he is on the overall maintenance of the newly acquired bike.

I would always change the oil and filter on a used bike once I got it home, if its sat for a few years then I would change it before I rode it more than a few miles.

Chris had the bike idling for a while on one cylinder - not sure how much fuel would condense out on the cylinder walls and how much would blow out the exhaust from that. There will be some of both, and the gas in the catalytic converter is going to burn off now, might rainbow the exhaust by the muffler a bit. Might be good to ride the bike a few miles, let the exhaust cool down, ride it a few more miles, let it cool down, so any gas in the exhaust has a chance to evaporate and blow thru, instead of acting like a chimney fire in there.

If you have not changed the oil yet this is a good time for new oil and filter, before you put more than a few miles on it

If you already changed it... maybe sniff the crankcase by the oil filler cap and see if it smells like gasoline?

If the bike had a stuck float in the carbs and was draining fuel from the tank into the crankcase, then no question, then I would drain the oil and replace it, but in this case... hard to say if its necessary.
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 07-09-2019 at 10:18 AM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:21 AM
KCW

Garage

RUGGED INDIVIDUAL SOCIETY YEARLY MEETING AND GROUP HUG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode