1100 Vstar fuel issue - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By Cleve298
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By Cleve298
  • 1 Post By Cleve298
  • 1 Post By lesblank
  • 2 Post By Cleve298
  • 1 Post By lesblank

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

1100 Vstar fuel issue

SO Iím new at this forum stuff so If iím Not in the right place Iím learning and any constructive Criticism is welcomed...
SO I had a problem with bad gas over the winter messed up the carbs, Had the carbs cleaned at a Good Shop put everything back together and now I have a weird issue.
WIth e fuel selection on main the bike will start and run for a while then cut out and die ( I have almost a full tank of new gas) If I switch the fuel selector to reserve it will run fine.
I thought it might be the fuel filter bu the gas come from the tank to the filter from the same petcock. If it were the carbs wouldnít it die out no matter what position the fuel selector was in? They want over $400 to tune it up and fix it..... I donít have that kind of money to spend and the summer is rapidly vanishing without me being able to ride.
ANY HELP IS GREATLY Appreciated .....
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:32 AM

Garage
I wonder if the petcock could have build up inside. Was it stored with the petcock in the run position? I will switch to off and run gas out of carbs for winter. Of course with seafoam.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:01 AM

Garage
Arrows point to sceen on fuel inlet filters to petcock. Remove, clean or replace. It's pretty common with age.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:10 AM
KCW

Garage
thats a blurry picture

there are screens where the arrows are pointing

my Royal Star seems to start to stumble about 10 to 20 miles sooner then it should when the main tank is getting low - if I switch to reserve it runs fine all the way down till there are only ounces in the tank.

My bike should be good to about 180 miles on the main tank, but it starts to stumble around 170 on the trip odo.

Im pretty sure the screen in the Main tube is partly blocked near the bottom on mine. I plan to pull it all out and clean it... someday, when I have a new gasket to put it back on the tank..

and its raining
and i have nothing better to do...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Great answer, I pulled the fuel petcock last night and after work today I plan on taking a hard look inside, I didnít see any buildup on the screens, but what you say makes sense , Thanks for the quick reply... I hate watching everybody else ride by my truck......
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply, I am going to take the petcock apart tonight, SO the main fuel filter shouldnít make a difference right because itís before the fuel selection switch....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Yep thatís whatI pulled out, Could the build up be inside the screen, Because the screen doesnít look bad, and can you remove the screen and replace with new ones?
Thanks for the quick reply..
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:06 PM

Garage
It was easier when mine messed up to just buy a new one. I bought the one below and has worked great for years. It is an aftermarket part put works great. Several other members have bought the same one.

https://www.amazon.com/Petcock-YAMAH...gateway&sr=8-2

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, After messing with mine last night I agree, I looked online (Amazon) and purchased the same one. Should be here this weekend so I hoping to be back on the road this weekend.
Thanks for the reply..
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:46 AM

Garage
The only difference is the petcock is a little longer and sticks down a little more. I like that because it's easier to turn off and on with gloves. You will see what I mean if you didn't follow that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode