Too lean or bad spark plugs - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Too lean or bad spark plugs

I have a 05 v star 650 I bought the bike used. It likes to pop on deceleration but not all the time and it will stall after about a min in nutral. Also i have to rev the motor when I start the bike (warm or cold). I took the spark plugs out one is completely pink and looks worn the other is pink and white. It looks worn was well but I'm wondering if the white is indicating its a little lean. I have enclosed links to the pictures. I'm having trouble linking the images so I including drop box links
http://db.tt/utrwxlrb
http://db.tt/5S72q26m

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by theannihilator; 02-20-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 10:38 AM

Are you using the choke when starting?
Definitely shouldn't twist the throttle when starting unless you want a more expensive repair down the road (look to the wiki KB for explanation).
I'd guess one of the idler jets is clogged, but sounds like you need to pull the carbs and clean well at a minimum and probably adjust and sync.

Stock intake and exhaust? If not, what size jets?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Re: Too lean or bad spark plugs

yea they r stock. I have trouble starting. Like its not getting a good spark or enough fuel. Oh about 3 times in the past two weeks it has a serious backfire like it has carbon build up upon a cold start. Yes I use choke on cold starts. I don't use choke if the motor has been of for like 30 min

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Re: Too lean or bad spark plugs

Miescha could it be from bad gas for crappie start. For the first and second fill up (approx. 350 miles) I had no issue except for the occassional pop on deceleration and minor backfire (sounded like a muffled.22 at 300 feet away).

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 04:17 PM

You stated that the spark plugs were pink. That is a sign that the gas has silicone added as an additive. Bad news. Change where you buy your gas and see if the problem gets better. Silicone in gas was a big problem a few years ago in the New England area.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

they are pink and rusted lol. I am going to change them non the less cause they dont sound or feel like they are firing correctly. I did not have any issues trying to start tonight with giving no extra gas or choke (engine warm). I been using 7-eleven i had put mid-grade in the fill up before my last one. This past fill up, I put premium from a different 7-eleven and im not having as much trouble and the engine is starting to have less vibration and knocking. I am going to go back to regular after this fill up and see if that is any different but im gonna stay away from mid-grade. Also those spark plugs are the same sparks from po. i am curious if NGK iridium are really worth the money? oh is it normal for the engine to pop when decelerating from a high rpm(releasing throttle)?
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

this link has a picture someone posted that looks like my spark plug but with less wear
http://www.soarerworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24036
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerdave View Post
You stated that the spark plugs were pink. That is a sign that the gas has silicone added as an additive. Bad news. Change where you buy your gas and see if the problem gets better. Silicone in gas was a big problem a few years ago in the New England area.
i posted links to pictures of my spark plugs in the first post
sry for not actually posting pics but i cant figure it out atm....
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 11:06 PM

Well the historical info that this is a recent development changes things (maybe ).

I thought the bike was like this since purchased used. Given its a recent development, it certainly could be bad fuel. The cheapest quick test is to drain the fuel, add fresh fuel, add sea foam or similar cleaner and run it long enough to clean it out. Go ahead and change the plugs first (it's cheap and they sound questionable at best) and make sure you gap them properly even if they are pre-set.

If problem continues you may still need to pull the carbs to rule out some type of gunk fouling the system, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in (paging sick mick :-)

Do the easy stuff and let us know what happens, we'll get you straightened out!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

it is recent for the starting cause when i first bought it (Feb 6) and during about the first week and a half it was beautiful. start right up and no hesitation at all. Now i get hesitation but as of last night it will start with no add gas from the throttle (1/32in- turn (i would only have to turn it till the slack was gone)). ill pick up some seafoam tonight and add it to my next fuel up one i run the motor to stuttering on reserve (cant drain the fuel where i live ). would NGK iridium plugs be better than say ngk standard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode