carb cleaning - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
carb cleaning

Ive had the bike(2003 V Star Classic) for 3 weeks now and still is not running right. Takes a few tries to get started even with choke on and the will spit and sputter after it warms up unless I give it more than 1/2 throttle. Been through 3 tanks of gas 2 with 1/2 bottle pof seafoam and the first one my brother in law used some kind of injector cleaner. Dosent seem to be getting any better. I attempted to take it out yesterday but got as far as taking the air box off and noticed the rear carb boot wasent connected. I thought this could be the problem ,so I put it back together and try it out. Still had the same problem. So sunday Im gonna take the carb out and give it a good cleaning and clear out the jets. Got a print out on how to get to the jets and picked up a set of needle nose vise grips. The replacement screws that I picked were not stainless steel. Dose anyone now if this is a bad idea not using stainless alan head screws? wish me luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Forgot to mention that the PO let the bike sit for 2 years.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 07:50 PM

I bought a 650 custom about 3 mo. ago. Very similar situation the bike had been sitting for sometime. I has lots of trouble getting the bike to idle well and she would run on the front cylinder 10 min into a ride. I had the carbs cleaned and now the bike runs great. Don't give up on the 650 it is a great bike and once you get the gunk out of the carbs she will likely run great. Mine is running great and I just love it!

BLUE BIKE CLUB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlawrence View Post
I bought a 650 custom about 3 mo. ago. Very similar situation the bike had been sitting for sometime. I has lots of trouble getting the bike to idle well and she would run on the front cylinder 10 min into a ride. I had the carbs cleaned and now the bike runs great. Don't give up on the 650 it is a great bike and once you get the gunk out of the carbs she will likely run great. Mine is running great and I just love it!
I have the 1100 classic. I know it still is the same problem but you can get to the bowls easier. My dad has a 1999 650 .
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well I got the carbs off. Opened the the bowls without messing up any of the screws. Looked like it was off before because the pms screw plugs were already out. Took the jets out (main and pilot) let them soak in some carb cleaner(CRC). Everything looked clean but sprayed out the bowls and all the jet opening. Used a small wire from bread twist tie to go through the small holes and the pilot opening. Put everything back together and fired it up. Still hard to start and still stumbling when I try to take off unless I give it more throttle. Anyone have any sugestions? Was realy hoping this was gonna fix it.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 07:15 PM

I had similar problems. Have you looked at some of the simpler fixes? Spark plugs properly gapped, new fuel filter?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I forgot to mention all the stuff I did so far. Changed the oil, new spark plugs, new fuel filter. Checked the petcock filter when I had the tank off.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I think Ill go back and take out the diaphram and needle and clean it out from the top
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 06:45 PM

Have you done a carb sync, if they are out enough the bike will run real bad.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I looked at the butterflies when I had them out and they looked pretty equal. will have to wait till this weekend sometime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode