Float Needle clip...which side up? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Float Needle clip...which side up?

Seems an easy enough question, but all my searching on the forum and www has not produced an answer.

I disassembled and cleaned my carbs on my 2002 Vstar 650. In reassembling the carbs, I am putting the float needle back into the float gas filter. I notice the needle has this clip on the end which looks like this...

The floats pivot back and forth on this little clip - pushing the needle in I suppose. Since the float needle can move freely in this hole before you re-install the float, I am not sure which side of the clip goes up?

Installed one way, the float has less range of motion than having the clip flipped the other way. Anyone know which way the clip should be positioned?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

The answer is...

I ended up pulling my carb several times. The first time because the bike was cutting out on full throttle (and would not run without full choke). I used this video on YouTube to see how to pull the carb and clean it (thank you Willseasyguitar)....

I went the extra step of placing the carburetor in a large ultrasonic cleaner with simple green diluted 3/1. This got it sparkling clean, but the bike would not start after I put everything back together. I Thought maybe I had the float needle wrong. Still not sure - but that was not the issue regardless. (The flat side of the clip goes down I believe).

After pulling it apart 2 more times and going over every possible thing, I blew into the main fuel inlet (where the fuel pump pushes the gas into the carb) and it was not pushing out the float needles. I could pull the needles out part way, and air would come through - but they were not falling out on their own with the float down (the needle valve filters were clean BTW).

Turns out the simple green / degreaser either left a fine residue around the needle or it just needed some lubrication. A friend at work recommended gun oil, so a little of that worked beautifully. The needles slid back and forth as they were supposed to and the bike ran beautifully after I got it back together tonight. Happy day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode