Need advice on rejetting - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Need advice on rejetting

I have a 2009 vstar 1100 silverado. It has longshot pipes on it. The guy i bought it from said he had just installed the pipes, and that he didnt do anything to the carbs. It starts good idles good, runs great unless i really go to romp on it, i can tell its lagging some fuel. Any ideas or advice on a jetkit as in sizes to use? Any help is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 05:17 PM

Here is what you need Number 9:

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...g/carb-jetting

Look for the jetting chart about 1/3 down the page. Looks like for a stock intake and full exhaust, you would leave the pilot alone and bump up the main jets one size each - so you'd only need to buy the 115 jet for the front and move the 112.5 jet from the front to the rear.

Same chart shows no change in PMS or needle settings.

More importantly, sounds like your carbs need to be synced - that's likely the primary cause of the lag you feel on heavy throttle (and you're gas mileage likely sucks also).

If it were me, I'd change the pilot jets to 20 while I was in there, the bike just seems to idle better with the 20 pilot jets.

Good luck - and enjoy several hours of reading at the wiki link above!

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Need advice on rejetting

Thanks for your quik reply. A friend that has a vstar told me to take all of the emission stuff off of the engine. Not really sure what he was talking about. What do you think? Will that interfere with the way it runs if i jet it the way you said in your post above?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 09:06 PM

Well if the stock pipes are gone and replaced with Cobra long shots, then the main emissions item is gone (the cats). He is probably referring to the AIS (air injection system), which is needed to ensure all fuel is burned in the cats and not elsewhere (think big flame thrower if the AIS is removed/disabled while the cats are still in place).

The link I posted earlier also has all you need to know about AIS disable/removal. Most start by just disabling the AIS (this removes popping on decel for a lot of people). Then ultimately remove the entire AIS system for looks (the pipes running around your engine). There are kits that include plugs to plug the ports where the pipes enter each cylinder, but the favored method lately is to use a spent .45 ACP shell b/c it fits perfectly and looks cool

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

So technically i should be ok to take off those pipes around the engine and plugs the holes when i rejet?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 09:46 PM

Yep, with the stock exhaust (and therefore cats) gone, you don't need the AIS.

You just need to plug the ports in each cylinder. Look to the wiki link I posted above - it has a lot of tips to make it easy. Grab a can of compressed air so you can freeze the elbows, they will come out much easier.

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks alot for the help man.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 10:20 PM

Anytime - its what we do here.

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode