Bike Pops, Bogs, and almost Dies Unless Throttle is Gunned! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Bike Pops, Bogs, and almost Dies Unless Throttle is Gunned!

Hey Guys, been having a lot of trouble with my 2003 Vstar 1100

[I]I am going to give you a little background info on what I have done so far and on the bike. If you dont want to read this portion the next paragraph will have more on what the problem is. I have taken the carb off twice. I have taken out the pilot jets and cleaned them and then sprayed the other jets with carb cleaner. I also disassembled the needle and diaphragm and put the needles back as best as possible. Needle settings I have on this bike are one carb c clip is on the lowest part of the needle, and I have washer,c clip, plastic spacer shim washer.
the second carb is c clip is one above the lowest setting and is washer, c clip ,plastic spacer, shim washer. I am running a 110 and 112.5 jet, a 17.5 pilot jet and a 42.5. The exhaust looks factory and says Yamaha 5EL-1 but looks like it has some slip on ones on the back. I have a factory air cleaner. I have also replaced the air cleaner, replaced the spark plugs, replaced the oil filter, and the oil .

Now to the problem!
The Bike will sit and idle pretty normally. It also sounds normal when you give it some gas without being in gear or having a load on it. Once you put it in gear and try to take off slowly it pops, bogs, goes a little, bogs again, and so on. If you take off really fast and gun the throttle bikes sounds normal and acts normal. It doesnt give any trouble as long as you are giving it full throttle. Once you try to go around a corner and even let off the throttle the littlest bit it starts to bog and try to die. But in the midst if you pull in the clutch it will idle normally and not die. I even tried to take it up to 70. It will get there and will work as long as your accelerating but try to just cruise at 70 and it does it again. You have to have the throttle down all the way or the bike acts terrible.I just went and bought some SEAfoam to see if it would help. I have drive the bike about 30 minutes and no improvement Any help you guys have would be really appreciated because I am lost with everything I have already done.

I am also having an oil leak around the oil filter cover I cannot figure out.It started leaking right after I changed the oil and filter. It is leaking around the bottom screw where the rubber O-ring for the filter is. I bought a filter from O-Reilly called a Wix 24935. The rubber part on the back of the filter was slightly thicker than the one in my bike, dont know if this the prioblem or what. I have also taken the cover off 3 times since and went back in and put the original small rubber oring back and put the original large orange ring back too. Dang thing still leaks! This is a pain to take off each time too with having to drop exhaust and floorboard.The oil I put in is Mobile 1 Full Sythetic 20w 50.

Any help with these two problems is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 11:51 PM

Wesley,

I'll have to go to the wiki to double check the needle assembly order (the link is in my sig - you should check it too). But first, that jet is definitely wrong unless you typed something way goofy. Both jets at stock should be 17.5. I don't even know what kind of crazy mods would require a 42.5 pilot (hell, I'm surprised they have one that size for this carb). So start with confirming that number size for us.

The oil filter problem is almost certainly an oring issue somewhere. Look again to the wiki page in my sig and be careful an oring didn't get doubled-up (the old small one may have been left in place - there definitely needs to be one). You can also verify that filter as correct on the wiki page - just follow the link to oil/filter.

One of us will check also when we get a chance, but you might beat us to it (you should look over the wiki page for tons of other great info anyway).

Hang in there, we'll get you straightened out!

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 12:29 AM

Here is the filter pic from wiki:

The filter number Wix 4935 is right (the 2 added at the front is probably just an oriely number).

Check the pic.

The needle assembly pic is here:

Dynajet and maxair needles are different - those are on the wiki site though.

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 05:45 AM

i checked the web pages on the oil filter its 4935 not 24935.and with stock yamaha needles the clip should be on the center notch,do the needles say yamaha on them.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies. Yea sorrry it is definitely a 17.5 pilot jet. The 42.5 is whatever that jet is that is behind the main jet and to the left of the pilot jet. As far as for the needles, they dont have anything written on thrm but from what I can tell they may be yamaha needles but just from a bike that is newer than 03. They have 5 at least maybe 6 dif clip positions on the needle. Also comparing mine to thr pic below, mine has been the larger washer above the c-clip instead of both below the plastic spacer. Should i change it? As far as the oil o ring, i did take the old one out, and replace it with thr new one, and then when it leaked i wnrt back in and actually put the old one back. Is it possible i mixed up the screw pattern? They did get mixed up whem i laid them out but they all seemed right when o started finger threading them in at first, and they are all flush. It is definitely leaking from screw 7 on diagram below. I am willing to just go buy another oilf filter kit if needed also to eliminate any possibilities, especially since it is a pain to take of that muffler, and foot stand each time. As far as the clitch cut out switch, where would find that and how would i test it? Thank you guys so much for your help, this bikes been driving me nuts. I got from this guy about 3 weeks ago and it was running somewhat okay but just seemed like it was starving for gas and had sat a while which is why i tore into it in the first place. It did not sound this bad thpugh, at least back then it would cruise on the highway with kind of a dry sound. Now its really bad, im Willing to check whatever tho to make sure i didnt mess something else up
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 04:20 PM

if you have stock exhaust ,or slipons your jets are ok.a stock needle has one shim i beleive.a stock yami needle should be at the middle notch not the bottom......if your at the bottom notch your set up for as rich as that needle can be set for.with your stock intake and exhaust i would set it at the middle.yamaha needles are supposed to be stamped yamaha.your jets look ok.itake your cover screws and try them in each hole if they go all the way in there to short and if they stick way out there to long,your going to have to make an educated guess
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks nick, ill adjust those needles next and see if it makes a difference. Anything else I should look out for while I have the tank and airbox off to adjust the needles?

UPDATE ON OIL LEAK I went and bought a K& N oil filter today just to eliminate the possibility of a bad filter. I put it in and put it in with all the original o-rings(The large black and orange and small one) that were on the bike. The K&N doesnt come come with new ones.
I even followed Miescha's diagram on the bolt patters. Still Leaks!
I inspected the o-rings and checked for possible cracks in the case or dirt behind the o-ring and everythings good. Any idea on what else it could be?
The 3 bolt plate that goes over the filter itself I just put that there and didnt push it hard or anything, is that something I needed to do to get it to seal maybe? Also I just threw the filter in, didn't snap it or anything
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 09:36 PM

your welcome,the pms according to the web pages is 2 turns out.when i did my pods my screws were 1&1/2 on the rear and 1&3/4ths on the front "from the factory"last time i changed the oil filter i seem to remember i really had to compress it down i very carefully turned the screws in a cross tightening pattern,did not want to crack the cover.good luck but i'm not positive i'm remembering correctly.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 10:22 PM

nick you are remembering the filter correctly.
Also make sure you are putting the cover on correctly with the oil passage hole matching up.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Whats the oil passage hole?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode