Oil filter stuck - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Oil filter stuck

Ok, took the bike in for service a few thousand miles ago and part of that was changing the oil. I went to change the oil yesterday and cannot remove the filter, seems they've wrenched it on quite hard. Last time this happened I broke the wrench (metal strap around the filter ripped in two). This time I went back to the mechanic and requested to borrow whatever tool he used with a promise to return it asap. Well he showed me the special tool to remove the filter (beefed up metal cap that fits on a socket wrench) but wouldn't let me borrow it. Not happy right now as the bike is sitting with no oil and can't get the filter off to complete the oil change. Thinking about following the book and wait till next oil change to deal with this but that doesn't help if I forget to take it back to the mechanic to loosen it at which time I'm sure he'll charge for an hour of work, just because.

BLUE BIKE CLUB
Southern Chapter

2009 Vstar 950 - Ultimate Solo Seat, Full Fairing, 3-1" risers, Air Horn!!, Paladin removable sissy bar with luggage rack, Hard Bags and a Mustache Bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 04:48 AM

He probly did it on purpose !!! So you have to bring it to him !!! New mechanic time !!!take a screw driver and a hammer perice the side of the filter til comes out the other side then use the screwdriver as pry bar make sure to use a thick strong and long one !!! Use a jack get up as high as possible and have a buddy spot you !! Good luck that's what I had to do!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 05:19 AM

You might be able to buy that filter cup at an auto parts store, too...I know they carry some, for Toyota and Honda engines. Or even a lawn mower repair shop. There is NO reason why a filter should ever be installed that tightly...makes me wonder if he installed it dry. And definitely time to find a new mechanic, if he won't let you borrow a filter cup!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 05:24 AM

I agree !!! He wants your money!!! I think since he put it on he should make it right!!! A loan the tool to you !!! He gets a lot of oil changes that way!!!

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post
I agree !!! He wants your money!!! I think since he put it on he should make it right!!! A loan the tool to you !!! He gets a lot of oil changes that way!!!

I've had a lot of trouble out of him this past year to make me think the same thing. Last year, installing a front tire made the fuel economy drop 7-10% although my driving habits didn't change. This year I had the maintenance done, valve adjustment, your normal 36000 mile tune up which I thought included greasing the wheel bearings and the steering stem. Two months later I'm having to replace the rear hub because all the bearings have gone out. Yes, some of the bearings are sealed but some are not. There have also been a lot of add-ons when I do take it in for service.

BLUE BIKE CLUB
Southern Chapter

2009 Vstar 950 - Ultimate Solo Seat, Full Fairing, 3-1" risers, Air Horn!!, Paladin removable sissy bar with luggage rack, Hard Bags and a Mustache Bar.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
This issue I've had with finding a mechanic for the major stuff, at least major to me, is that our stealership closed, one shop is mainly for Italian bikes but they'll take a stab at it and the other shop is just for Harleys. I may have found someone that's a little further away to work on it in the future.

BLUE BIKE CLUB
Southern Chapter

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 12:12 PM

Nothing against mechanics but it's hard to find when you can trust!!! Sad but true!!!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 12:14 PM

My dad was a mechanic !!!and he and all kinds of work !!!because he could be trusted!!! That's how I run my plumbing business !!! I do what I say and I back it up with a warranty on my workmanship

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 03:06 PM

Oil filters tend to tighten up even if they were installed properly. I like to tighten them up a little less than spec, and keep my eye on them for a while.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 09:39 PM

not too familiar with the 950, but of the filter is exposed, drive a screwdriver through it. That will make it easier to remove!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode