Final Drive Alignment Question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Final Drive Alignment Question

My bike has been sitting awhile and I finally figured it'd be about time to clean everything up and get it rideable again.

Got most of it taken care of and decided I'd clean some of the funk off of the final drive, when I discovered this:

(Overview from top)

(Narrow gap from rear)

(Large gap from front)

I appears that my final drive is installed crooked. I haven't really ridden much in the last year or so...last person I remember being in there was the Yamaha dealer when I was in a rush and had them slap a tire on for me / change the final drive oil.

I'm pretty much just used to chains...how bad is this going to be when I pull the tire off in a day or so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 06:33 AM

Garage
Not sure if you're asking about what you'll find inside damage whise or if it's going to be hard to pull off. If you haven't rode you bike that much since the tire change you shouldn't have any damage other than a slightly odd wear patern on the gear teeth. As for pulling the rear wheel assy off; there should be no issues at all. Do you have a manual to guide you through this process? You have to respect the stack up on the axle and between the axle and frame, nothing to hard but can be missed. If you don't have a manual, go to the link at the bottom of my sign block and go to the library tab. There you'll find a link for the 1100 shop manual.

Let us know how it went and what you found.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

I was more just freaking out a bit at what I might find when I get it taken apart since it's gonna be a few days til I can pull it apart and fix it. My bike's been sitting and what started as changing a few gaskets and freshening it up a bit has kinda built up on me...when I saw this I kinda figured I'd ground the splines down to nothing and was going to be out a new final drive. Luckily I haven't heard any growling or anything so I figure it can't be too bad?

I have a manual, and found this online as well: http://www.650ccnd.com/documents/Fin...ealignProc.pdf

Figure I'll pull it in the next few days, re-grease everything, and change the gear oil in the drive as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode