Leftside Crankcase Cover Installation - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Leftside Crankcase Cover Installation

Long story short, I had to remove the left side crankcase cover to retrieve a socket. I already ordered a new gasket, but when I tried to temporarily re-install the cover I failed.

My shop manual was of no help.

The bottom of the cover likes to get hung up on the frame, and there's a metal shaft going through some of the gears that doesn't line up with it's female slot on the cover.

This has elevated from frustration to fear, as I'm now worried I will need to remove the engine to re-install this. I know we've got some v-star experts on hand around here (I'm looking at you, metric magic), please give any help you can.

V-Star 1100 Silverado
429 cams
Chubby pods
Speedster Slashdowns
Dyna 3000
AIS Removed
64lb clutch

Sappers Forward
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 05:14 PM

When re installing the crankcase cover, pay close attention to the clutch actuator assy. For some reason mine kept binding. I eventually had to put the cover on with the screws just barely started, then hooked up the clutch cable, and then seated the cover screws.i copied this from the kb am i right
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick57 View Post
When re installing the crankcase cover, pay close attention to the clutch actuator assy. For some reason mine kept binding. I eventually had to put the cover on with the screws just barely started, then hooked up the clutch cable, and then seated the cover screws.i copied this from the kb am i right
Yeah I saw that already, I cant even get the cover close enough to start the screws.

V-Star 1100 Silverado
429 cams
Chubby pods
Speedster Slashdowns
Dyna 3000
AIS Removed
64lb clutch

Sappers Forward
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Can't even sleep this is bothering me so much. Feel like I'm in way over my head, and I'm terrified by the thought that I've somehow caused irreparable damage to something. How can a simple cover not go on the same way it came off.

V-Star 1100 Silverado
429 cams
Chubby pods
Speedster Slashdowns
Dyna 3000
AIS Removed
64lb clutch

Sappers Forward
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Alright, got the crankcase put back together. The solution now seems obvious.

The starter idle gear, a double gear to the left of the flywheel, has a retention rod that has to line up with a female slot on the cover. This gear can, and apparently tends to, move when the cover is removed. Just had to lift the gear to line it up with the cover.

Spoke with 2 mechanics at local shops, and neither of them pointed me to this solution. Finally just figured it out on my own. I did call another shop, and their mechanic knew exactly what I was talking about. He said so long as you don't pull the gears out, as they mesh together a certain way, and the cover seats properly I should be fine.

He also mentioned a simple test to make sure all is good. After the cover is on, turn the flywheel by hand forwards a couple rotations to make sure everything is turning freely. Then, turn it backwards. Listen carefully for a whining noise similar to a wind-up toy. That's the starter engaging.

Oh, and tape your socket.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

V-Star 1100 Silverado
429 cams
Chubby pods
Speedster Slashdowns
Dyna 3000
AIS Removed
64lb clutch

Sappers Forward
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 09:10 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in