Rust - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Rust

Happy Saturday all - Call your Mom and say thanks for putting up with your crap! =)

Call me vain, but I'm wondering about doing something about a couple parts that are rusting. I just think of rust as a disease that will only get worse if ignored.

I guess it also bothers me because it just seems like an eye sore. But is it something I should fix, or would I be better spent working on other projects? If I pulled the exhaust to swap out the parts behind it, would I need to rejet? I'm already planning to re-sync the carbs just for the hell of it really.

Also, there is some rust on other parts as well (parts on the seat, various nuts and bolts, even one of the cables - see last pic). Is there anything that can be done other than just replacing the seat? Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140510_142553.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	29729   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140510_142703.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	29737   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140510_142749.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	29745   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140510_145824.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	29753  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 10:32 AM

I guess it depends how shinny you want to keep it and if they are critical parts. A friend of mine bought his first bike a few seasons ago and I bet hes washed it twice. His is always very dirty with road grime, light rust here and there. I personally don't know how guys can let their bikes get as bad as his.

2008/ 1300 V Star
Kuryakyn Pro R hypercharger
Road Burner 2.5" Street Pros
Dyno-Jet fuel processor
Yamaha OEM Passing lamps
Yamaha OEM highway bars Kuryakyn pegs
Tsukayu Strong JUMBO hard bags
Wicked Lightening green LED's
Kuryakyn Triple Whammy
RecklessMotorcycles fairing w/Rockford Fosgate amp
Klock Werk 6.5" windshield

V&H Big Shots for sale
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

I'm thinking I am going to do something about it. I'm researching how to pull the AIS system since it is the most rusted (you can see how bad one end is in the 1st pic), and I'm thinking it might help with the bike's tendency to pop while decelerating. There's enough how-to manuals on this job that I think I could do it. Just need to stop by the shooting range and practice with my .45 so I have a couple empty casings to fill the gaps. =)

The exhaust joint wouldn't be too hard to get to either once I pull the pipe. Never done this before, but it doesn't seem too hard since it is accessible from the side. For the more experienced shop owners on here, any hints on these jobs for someone brand new to bikes and bike maintenance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode