Shifting Down - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Shifting Down

I recently bought a 2003 Yamaha VStar 650 Classic.
Bike drives very well other then one issue with shifting.

When ever I am approaching a stop, I always Downshift, and there is no problem going from 5th gear into Neutral, However, the bike will not downshift into First gear unless I come to a complete stop, release the clutch, then re-engage the clutch to drop down into first. Even when I re-engage the clutch, the bike seems to chunk into first gear.
After getting into first, The bike operates normally, Able to upshift with no problems...
Has anyone else had issues that are the same? I have noticed a little slippage on clutch at highway speeds, But most of that was corrected by adjusting the cable at the motor end, I've got plenty of free play on clutch lever.
Wondering if I may have bent shift fork, or maybe some sync problems..
Just looking for some input on fellow Cruisers...Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatron863 View Post
I recently bought a 2003 Yamaha VStar 650 Classic.
Bike drives very well other then one issue with shifting.

When ever I am approaching a stop, I always Downshift, and there is no problem going from 5th gear into Neutral, However, the bike will not downshift into First gear unless I come to a complete stop, release the clutch, then re-engage the clutch to drop down into first. Even when I re-engage the clutch, the bike seems to chunk into first gear.
After getting into first, The bike operates normally, Able to upshift with no problems...
Has anyone else had issues that are the same? I have noticed a little slippage on clutch at highway speeds, But most of that was corrected by adjusting the cable at the motor end, I've got plenty of free play on clutch lever.
Wondering if I may have bent shift fork, or maybe some sync problems..
Just looking for some input on fellow Cruisers...Thanks in advance.
How many miles you got on that funky oil? Change it.

It's the cheapest thing to try before worrying about clutches, and more.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Actually, Its a pretty fresh Oil Change, Less then 1K miles since last oil change...and that was done at the local Yamaha Dealership from the person I bought the bike from, He had all service records on bike, which was a bonus....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 12:05 PM

Did this problem exist before the oil change?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

No idea if the problem existed prior to oil change since the previous owner had it done just before I purchased the bike...
I did run out during my lunch and picked up new oil filter, 4 qts of oil and a new Oil Pan..Gonna do a change this weekend and see if that makes a difference.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 02:27 PM

Mine does that from time to time too. I usually down shift while slowing, but when I practice quick stops i go from 5th then once stopped - fight with it to go into 1st. Maybe try downshifting while slowing and release the clutch.....

By the way, only use 3 of your new quarts of oil.

larry
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrym View Post
Mine does that from time to time too. I usually down shift while slowing, but when I practice quick stops i go from 5th then once stopped - fight with it to go into 1st. Maybe try downshifting while slowing and release the clutch.....

By the way, only use 3 of your new quarts of oil.

larry
Good point on shifting to first while still rolling.

Although the guys in one of these forums have told enough horror stories about fried clutches, that I only use neutral when stopped.

How many miles are on your bike? I have a 2003 V Star 650 Classic that I bought with 17,500 miles. I put 3,000 miles on it the first month, and the clutch went from awesome to needing replacement in that period.

Initially it would only slip when hammer-dogging it in third and fourth gear, and the clunking you're describing. I didn't think a clutch could burn-out at 20,000 miles, but sometimes beginners ride those 650s and they'll smoke 'em.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

I do downshift each gear individually, easing off the clutch at each downshift...I can force it into first gear, but I normally have to bang on the shifter pretty hard to get it into first, and at times, when it has gone into first gear, it would randomly jump out, back into neutral. The only way I can drive it without any popping out of gear issues with first gear is to come to a complete stop, release the clutch while its in neutral, then re-engage the clutch...It chunks into gear, but at least it stays in that 1st gear until I shift up..
The guy I bought the bike from told me he had taken the forward controls off, and repositioned to allow his foot to get under the shifter easier, unknown why he didn't just loosen the bolts and turn the shaft to adjust, Kinda wonder if his adjustment could be the problem child...
The bike has just over 13K miles now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode