Ignition Coil help V-star 1100 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Ignition Coil help V-star 1100

Hopefully someone has an answer or a link.,,

My stock coils had the wires cut. Added NGK splices and new wires.

Hate them, and wanted whole wires.......Now I found a couple posts online that the V-star coils the wires unthread after the glue is broken.........Not so much.

Now I have a coil with noo wire, and a coil with half a wire.

Has anyone had any luck swapping new wires into one? I found a post where someone cut one up and did a step by step, but cant find it now, I plan to order aftermarket ones this winter, but I'm in a bit of a panic to get this thing running, and hoping theres a quick cheap solution to get me by for a little while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Well, dove in anyways.........So if anyone searches., maybe this will help.

I had found this post

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/...c/start=0.html

Which seemed good, except that I hated the fixed wires. I want Dyna coils, but money and time are not on my side. So heres what happened.

Took the crap coil.

Removed the wire and ran a drill bit down until it hit the spike in the end. You can hear the differance from the wire.
Took a die grinder, and opened a cavity(after the drilling, or the bit will try to walk out) And used a pick to remove the last bits of wire.

Save the wire, because we'll need it soon.

Found an old distributor cap. SBC in this case, but anything would work domestic.
Cut a couple of the contacts out, and cleaned them up.
Had to trim the inner contact a little to fit in the coil hole

Take plug wire core, and solder to the inner contact.

Then shove it all in the hole and solder it to the spike

Then I made a damn out of masking tape, and backfilled the hoile until it oozed out at our new terminal. Taped up and drying right now.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Pulled the tape off, sanded them a little, and splashed some paint on. Hopefully firing it up in the next day or two, but I dont forsee any problems..........

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 06:34 PM

Interesting read and a bit of deja vu. I had coil problems on my '84 GL1200 and over on "Steve Saunders Goldwing Forum" I found info on a Neon coil mod. All the research had been done for me as others before me had found automotive coils that matched the Goldwing specs. This was a win-win scenario. Honda parts were ridiculously expensive and not readily available while the Neon coils were available at any auto parts store and about $25 for the set. I don't have my manual handy to look up the specs for the V Star coils but they had quite a few different car manufacture coils listed with their respective specs. There must be other coils available that meet Yamaha V Star specs and will fit with only minor bracket modification.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

I completely agree. I run a buick 3800 coil on my cb400, but I'm in a time crunch and couldn't find anything quick and cheap in a 4 ohm coil that is also compact and reasonably good looking. I'm buying dyna coils and cdi this winter so this means I can just keep the brackets I'm building when I get them.
Ive never seen a coil modified this way, so figured I'd share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode