25 MPG?!?!? WTH? '13 VStar 950 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

25 MPG?!?!? WTH? '13 VStar 950

Hi all,

I'm experiencing some very troubling MPG stats. I have gone through two tanks now and my gas light is coming on between 55-60 miles! I have a '13 VStar 950. I installed some Cobra slashdown exhausts, the Kuryakyn Alley Cat air cleaner kit and a Cobra Fi2000 fuel tuner.

I'm not sure what the three pots are set at exactly at the moment, but I would guess with the aftermarket mods and maybe the pots not finely tuned, I am wasting hella gas? It's brand new (only 400 miles), don't see any leaks or smell gas. I have no backfiring or popping out of the pipes, so that's good.

I know there should probably be a drop in MPG after new exhaust but really?!?! Also, the spec sheets, etc. seem to say I have a 4 gallon gas tank and should get well over 200 mi before I have to fill up with gas, (which I was super excited about when I bought it!). But everytime I fill up, no more than 2.2 gallons goes in. Oh well.

Any advice for adjusting my pots?

I'm not interested in off-the-starting-line power, I'm more interested in no backfiring and better MPG. To be honest, the only reason I switched out the pipes is the stock was HIDEOUS (IMO- no offense to other 950ers).

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 12:07 PM

Question

You definitely have a problem bud. I have a 2012 stock 950 and it gets 55 mpg faithfully year round. What baffles me about your post is that, you cannot put more than 2.2 gallons in her. Hopefully you are filling to the bottom of the filler cup with it sitting on the kick stand.

As for the fuel consumption, it is a wonder that it will run if the fuel/air mixture is really that rich. I'm sorry that I can't help with that since you did all those mods.

Curious: What possessed you to do all that stuff before even breaking-in the bike or having the first service?

Your words: "I switched out the pipes is the stock was HIDEOUS (IMO- no offense to other 950ers)." As a friend of mine quotes: "A good horse is never a bad color."

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonground View Post
You definitely have a problem bud. I have a 2012 stock 950 and it gets 55 mpg faithfully year round.
Sure wish I got that. My bone stock 1100 only gets 41 riding like an old lady. Same as my 814 pound Harley.

Also, the 1100 has same symptom as his 950 where it runs dry (switch to reserve) after consuming only 2.7 gallons. I carry an extra 1 gal tank in the saddle bag.

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 03:43 PM

Garage
Hi Ash,
When you installed the fuel processor from Cobra, the instructions provided should have listed what the three pots are to be set at. Since you're running the slashdowns and the air cleaner kit, you'll have to definitely adjust the pots. I'm only running the cobra slip-on, and an open air filter kit, and I had to adjust two out of the three pots on my 950t. Albeit mine had 14k on it I did my mods. Check your instruction sheet, fill up your tank with the kickstand down as commonground referred to, and see how it goes. Give the engine a chance to get broken in some and your mileage should improve. My mods barely effected my mileage. Just my 1.5 cents worth. Hope this helps, and Happy Holidays!
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Alright! Thanks everyone. I will definitely try that and see how it goes. I've gone through 3 "tanks" now and the first one gave me about 50 mpg, then I thought- well maybe I didn't reset the trip meter or something when the first 60 mile light came on. So I made sure of it this time- same thing again at 55 miles.

As far as the mods go, guess I never saw any research or heard any bad advice to switch out my mods when it's new. Guess I just wanted to get it all done at the same time? No other reason other than I didn't like the pipes and some holiday sales going on. I wanted to learn all about my bike right when I got it, so I studied it and changed out parts. Hmmm, I still have all the stock parts should I decide to go back.

Thanks Keith- yes the fuel processor had instructions and I did have to change the pots a bit to eliminate popping. Looks like I'll keep tinkering with those. I plan on getting the first major service after the first of the year. I have about 450 miles now.

The fuel tank capacity boggles me... hmmm.

Thanks for the tips everyone, and have a very Merry Christmas!!

Ashlie

2013 VStar 950- "Poseidon"

Cobra Slashdowns, fuel tuner
Kuryakyn pedals, grips, Alley Cat air, rtb controller, battery gauge
Misc. mirrors, chrome, and fun!

"It's amazing all the mess we make and what we can survive"
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkster11 View Post
As far as the mods go, guess I never saw any research or heard any bad advice to switch out my mods when it's new. Guess I just wanted to get it all done at the same time?
there's nothing wrong with putting those mods on a new engine. it shouldn't have any bearing on engine performance or longevity whether you do it when the bike is brand new or high mileage.

i have to blame the tuner here. either it is wired incorrectly, or just not working right. call up Cobra. even when i had my tuner set on pots 2/7/7 and averaging over 90mph on a cross country trip i was still getting to the 100 mile mark before my fuel light would come on.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote: As far as the mods go, guess I never saw any research or heard any bad advice to switch out my mods when it's new. Guess I just wanted to get it all done at the same time? Quote

Ashlie, I wasn't implying that it was wrong to do the mods. I was just curious. Not many folks are gutsy enough to jump in and do it before breaking in the machine. They're also afraid of voiding the warranty. Lol

Last edited by commonground; 12-26-2014 at 05:40 AM.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 01:13 AM

Similar issue

i have a 2012 V-Star 950... Picked it up a month or so ago with 1500 miles.
Gas light has come on with 120 miles, 90 miles and recently 60 miles.
Filling up is less than 2.5 gallons each time.
Just don't get it... I've done nothing different to the bike. Everything is stock.
Can't seem to trust the mileage at all. Is there another tank that is not connecting?
I miss having a reserve tank.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 05:33 AM

Most of us are not qualified to troubleshoot an Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) problem. ST Katz I would make sure the air filter is clean and beyond that I would let the expert put the analyzer on it to find the problem. I can't imagine anything that you did to cause the problem. linkster11, Have you found your problem?

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 11:44 AM

Thanks Commonground. I've read a few posts about others having a similar issue with filling up early. Definitely will have my mechanic check it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonground View Post
Most of us are not qualified to troubleshoot an Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) problem. ST Katz I would make sure the air filter is clean and beyond that I would let the expert put the analyzer on it to find the problem. I can't imagine anything that you did to cause the problem. linkster11, Have you found your problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode