Choke flooding carb - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Choke flooding carb

2005 V Star 1100. The bike has become a little hard to start, not bad but something has changed. It seems that when I choke it to start (cold) it may be flooding. If I do not choke it, it does not want to start unless I give it a little throttle and I do not want to start it this way.

A little history; bought the bike used, previous owner had been idling it a lot to keep it running and battery charged, not a good idea with a V twin. I had to clean the pilot jets so that the bike would idle without using the choke, after this the bike would idle and run great. Starting sequence was full choke, start and move the choke to mid position for warmup. Something has changed and I would like some advice for where to look. There are no mods on the intake or jetting, mixture screws are set at 3.5 turns.

I pulled the plugs and found the front plug to be black, probably due to excessive idling but the back plug was fine. I put new plugs in but it did not change anything, still will not start choked and requires a little throttle.

I believe that the choke is functioning because if I engage it after the bike starts the bike dies right away, one reason that I think it is flooding.

Any advice on what to look for is appreciated.

Loup

2005 V Star 1100 Classic, Mustang seats, Baron ORK, risers and Star handlebar, AIS removed, muffler baffles removed, run/turn/brake light controller, modulating headlight, pods installed in air box, progressive front springs.

Last edited by LoupGarou; 02-01-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 07:44 PM

stock intake.pms should be 1 3/4 out.think your carboned up,your front screw could be a little further out than rear.idle should be 950 to 1050
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 06:23 PM

Garage
Nick is right close. The pms screws should be out 2 turns with a stock set up. I've removed my AIS and stock intake, installed Shanes pod set up and jetted the carbs. My pms screws are out 3.25 turns. Try turning your screws in until lightly seated and then turn them out to what Nick said up to 2.5 turns so that the popping stops.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 07:10 PM

mine came from the factory at 1 3/4,maybe cali. bike special,would'nt hurt to put new plugs in and ride for a hundred miles and check for color,ethenol burns plugs white so i like to see a hint of tan,i don't mind a little popping it has a cool factor or maybe i think it does
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

10-4 guys, thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try.

Loup

2005 V Star 1100 Classic, Mustang seats, Baron ORK, risers and Star handlebar, AIS removed, muffler baffles removed, run/turn/brake light controller, modulating headlight, pods installed in air box, progressive front springs.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 02:40 PM

Verdict from the OP?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

I just made the adjustment yesterday, setting the PMS screw to 2 turns and this has corrected the problem. So, thank you nick57 and Corsair.

I was all set to take the carbs down and clean them, thinking this was the problem but fortunately I do not have to.

Loup

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 07:34 PM

you are welcome.if you check the plugs every couple hundred miles you can tweek the pms to get to a color you like. ethinol burns the insulators white so i like a trace of tan on the plugs.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

I will check the plugs as you suggest. Next time I take a break from work I will be changing the tires.

Take care,
Loup

Last edited by LoupGarou; 02-09-2015 at 05:06 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 05:01 PM

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...r-must-do-list two important things to check,,proper starting technique never give it throttle when starting and checking the mid shaft nut...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode