Pod install - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Pod install

I installed pods this weekend and it went very well. I wanted to avoid intake and engine noise so I installed the filters inside the air box. I sealed the original intake hole and the PCV hole with cutout plastic and JB Weld and then used JB Weld to epoxy in the exhaust pipe pieces used to hold the filters. I made a PCV filter similar to the power drink bottle but used 1/2" PVC with end caps. I used the recommended jetting on the Wiki KB page and so far it seems perfect, will check plugs after some riding time. Also made a manometer out of spice bottles and it worked fine.

Want to say thanks to all who contributed to the Wiki KB page, could not have done the mod without it.

Main reason for the mod was for a custom look, I wanted to get rid of the air filter and plan to install a carb cover like on the left side of the bike. I just need a mounting bracket for a carb cover, if anyone has one laying around I will be happy to buy it from you.

Loup

2005 V Star 1100 Classic, Mustang seats, Baron ORK, risers and Star handlebar, AIS removed, muffler baffles removed, run/turn/brake light controller, modulating headlight, pods installed in air box, progressive front springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 06:36 PM

Garage
Looks good Loup. Let us know how it performs. You might just have developed a new way of doing the pods mod.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

I took it out for a short ride to get gas and it ran great, no issues. As I put some time on the bike I will post updates.

I got the idea from one of the delphi forum links on the Wiki KB page where someone installed a single filter inside the air box to work in addition to the dog bowl, I just took it one step further.

Power increase is noticeable but I did not push it.

Loup

2005 V Star 1100 Classic, Mustang seats, Baron ORK, risers and Star handlebar, AIS removed, muffler baffles removed, run/turn/brake light controller, modulating headlight, pods installed in air box, progressive front springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Update. After a thousand miles or so the plugs look great, the mileage improved 2mpg to 40mpg, 140 miles before reserve. As far as power goes, I never pushed the bike before so I can't really give a good opinion. I had replaced the exhaust baffles with 1.5" tailpipe and the Wiki KB for this mod is spot on.

Loup

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 10:20 AM

Garage
Thanks for the update. Do you have pictures of the bike?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 10:41 AM
eGo

Looks good! I was having trouble picturing how the setup connected to the carbs, then I realized that you're utilizing the filters inside out.. That's clever! So the air comes in through the inside of the filters and then into the carbs. Originally I was trying to figure out what kind of contraption you were using to connect to the outside of the airbox to the carbs.. Silly me.. haha

eGo
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

I got the idea from another forum post, I would share the link but I did not save it. I put a carb cover on the right side, just like the left and painted the cylinders black.

LoupGarou

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 08:51 PM
eGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoupGarou View Post
I got the idea from another forum post, I would share the link but I did not save it. I put a carb cover on the right side, just like the left and painted the cylinders black.

LoupGarou
Looks Great! I really like the cylinders painted black..
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGo View Post
Looks good! I was having trouble picturing how the setup connected to the carbs, then I realized that you're utilizing the filters inside out.. That's clever! So the air comes in through the inside of the filters and then into the carbs. Originally I was trying to figure out what kind of contraption you were using to connect to the outside of the airbox to the carbs.. Silly me.. haha

eGo
It would be great if someone could explain this inside out concept as I am as confused as you were

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 10:26 PM
eGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer View Post
It would be great if someone could explain this inside out concept as I am as confused as you were
Basically he mounted the filters inside the air box by cutting holes in the side and epoxying the pipe rings in place to mount the filters to. So the air is pulled in from the sides of the air box and through the filters on the inside of the box and into the carb elbows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode